bedtime

It's nighttime, and the madrigals are enjoying dinner with their guests. "Julio, how old are you?" Alma asked. "4" Julio replied quietly. "Julio, you don't have to be shy. They are nice people." Cali said. "He's just shy he'll warm up to you, don't worry," Cali said. "It's alright, we get it he doesn't know any of us," Alma said. "It's ok. You'll get to know us better." Isabela said. Julio smiled and continued to eat. The madrigals did the same

Later that night, Alma showed where Julio and Cali would be sleeping, Cali had Julio on her hip, and Julio was about to fall asleep. "Thank you, Alma, for everything." Cali said. "You're very welcome." Alma said. Cali opened the door and layer Julio down in a bed and got in bed with him. "I love you, mi vida," Cali said as she kissed her son the forehead. "I love you, mami," Julio said as he cuddled up to his mother.

The next morning, Julio woke up. "Mami, wake up it's morning," Julio said with excitement. No response. "Mami?" Julio questioned. No response. Julio started to cry. Pepa was walking out of her room when she heard crying. "Who is that?" Pepa asked herself. Pepa went to investigate. She opened the door and found Julio crying next to his mother. "Oh, MY," Pepa said. Julio went over to Pepa, and she picked him up. Julio kept crying. Pepa's dress was getting soaked with julios' tears, but that didn't matter. Dolores woke up and walked in to see Pepa comforting the little boy. "Go tell abulea now," Pepa said.

So Dolores woke abulea up and told her what's happening. Abulea quickly went into the room. "Is she gone?" Abulea said sadly. "I'm afraid so," Pepa said. Julio hugged Pepa tightly as he continued to cry. "Get him out of here," abulea said. So Pepa did just that. Julieta was walking downstairs when she saw Pepa with Julio in her arms. "What happened?" Julieta questioned. "His mother passed on," Pepa replied. Julieta covered her mouth with her hands. "Take him downstairs to the kitchen. I'll help as much as possible." Julieta said. So Pepa and Julieta went downstairs. Julio calmed down a little bit but still had tears coming down his face. Both women hugged the little boy to comfort him

"It's alright, we're here for you," Pepa said. "That's right, let all the tears come out." Julieta agreed. 10 minutes passed, and Julio went upstairs and locked himself in the guest room. Julieta sighed. "I hope we can help him in every way possible," Julieta said. "I'm sure we will just give him time," agustin said.

Julio didn't talk to anyone for days he would eat, but not make eye contact with any of the madrigals. When the madrigals asked a question, he would just nod or shake his head but wouldn't say anything. After he would eat, he would go back to his room and lock the door. The madrigals weren't having any of that they tried to cheer him up. Julieta would make him food his mother would make him. Pepa tried to make the weather more suitable for Julio. Dolores tried to talk to him. Luisa tried to play with him. No matter what anybody did, he wouldn't respond to anything.

A few days pass, and Pepa is walking out of her room. She sees Julio sitting on top of the stairs. "This spot taken?" Pepa asked softly. Julio shook his head, and pepa sat right next to him. "I know you miss her, Julio," Pepa said. Julio had a tear come out of his eye. "My mami was the only family I had left," Julio explained. "I know... I never met my father. He died when I was a baby, " Pepa said. Julio looked over at Pepa. "Really?" Julio asked. "Yes, he sacrificed himself for the community." Pepa explained. "I'm sorry," Julio said. Pepa smiled a little bit. "What can we do to help you heal?" Pepa asked. "I don't know." Julio replied. Pepa looked at his ruana, and it seemed a bit old and torn. "How about a new ruana?" Pepa asked. Julio looked at his ruana. "That would be nice,but I'll like to keep this one my mami made it for me," Julio replied. "Ok, we can do that, and also I believe you would like this?" Pepa said as she handed him his mother necklace. "Yes, please," Julio replied as he held her necklace.

End of chapter