Two(L)

"Just listen, please," I begged Zayn after Harry walked out. "You don't get how important he is to me."

"This is so fucking illegal, Louis!" Zayn snapped while throwing his arms up. He had been a lot clamer while Harry was in the room, which, as mad as I was, I was thankful for that. Now that it was just us, he wasn’t holding back too much . "He's under-"

"He's eighteen!"

"Was he when you started dating?" Zayn questioned, venom still in his voice. I chewed on my lip and sighed. "I have to report-"

I shook my head, taking a step closer to Zayn, pointing at the door Harry left out of. "And kill him? And take away the only person that's truly on his side? Did you realize that he fucking doesn't even live at home? That he has a restraining order against his stepdad?" I ran my fingers through my hair and took a deep breath. "I fucking love him, Zayn. And I guarantee that if this happens, he will keep his mouth shut through it. He wouldn't help them in any way, shape or form because he doesn't want anything to happen to me as it is. The only person who knows about us from Harry, is Niall, and he made sure that Niall understood what could happen to me if Niall said anything at all."

Zayn shook his head. "His father wouldn't lay a hand on him, Louis," he said dryly.

I stared at him. He knew nothing about what had been going on with Harry. Of course he would assume everything was peachy with him because Harry tried not to show his problems throughout the school year. "Remember the lockdown last year during 7th period? It was because I didn't send Harry to the office with his dad because of fucking pending charges. Apparently his dad started fucking acting up, which is why the lockdown even happened. You don’t know what goes on in his life everyday. We don’t know what happens in their lives every single day. We can’t take away support systems that are working, Zayn."

"Is this how Harry started passing?" Zayn asked in an annoyed tone, ignoring what I said completely, which was just irritating me more.

"For fucks sake- no! I wouldn't do that! He needed help, I let him stay after class, like I did with every other single student I had in class. I started falling for him a few weeks into it all, but I was trying to just be a mentor and a teacher." Zayn looked like he was going to ask another question, but I kept talking. "And no, I don't fucking regret it. My mom died in May, and Harry put up with my bullshit of breaking up with him because my ex decided to come fuck with me during it all. We broke up, we got back together. I chose this, he chose this, neither of us are forcing the other in any fucking way."

Zayn rubbed his face. Why couldn't he just see how happy we both had been? The way both of our moods had picked up over the last school year? "Either way, this is illegal. You can't be dating a student, Louis."

I shook my head. "I should have fucking quit last year," I mumbled under my breath. I could have found a new job at another school, we'd be safe, and this would have never happened. "Let's fucking go then," I said louder, walking towards the door of my classroom. 

"Louis-"

"What?" I snapped, turning around. Three minutes ago he would have happily dragged me to the office, what was the hold up now? "You're going to anyways, might as well just fucking confess now."

"How long?" When I didn't answer right away and continued to stare at him, he added "With Harry. How long have you two been dating?"

I closed my eyes and sighed, throwing one hand up and letting it fall back to my side. "Almost a year. Since like October."

Zayn's eyes widened. "You've kept it that long?"

"Yeah, and if you would have knocked before just fucking coming in, you still wouldn't know." I was getting tired of the grilling. I would have to answer this shit a thousand more times, and I wasn't looking forward to it. Hell, anything that came next I wasn’t going to look forward to because it would ruin not only me, but Harry. Even though I’d be the monster and Harry would get treated like some kind of victim, it would kill him.

Zayn battled with himself for a few seconds. He shut his eyes before talking. "I swear to God, Louis. Get caught in any way, shape, or form, and I'll… I'm not saying anything. I won't say a single thing, but… if I notice anything, that's it, got it?"

I stared at him, wanting to yell at him for stressing not only me out, but Harry too. He could stress me out as much as he wanted, I was more worried about Harry. I didn't though. I was playing in his hands for the time being. I took a deep breath. "Yeah, got it," I breathed out.

I took another deep breath as Zayn left my room. School was set to start in thirty minutes, which meant students were already trickling into the building. I pulled out my phone again, calling Harry and praying he answered.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly the second he picked up.

I let out a long breath of relief and moved to my tiptoes for a second when I heard his voice. "Yes, I'm fine. He won't say anything, okay? I promise that it's going to be okay."

"I can't lose you," Harry whispered. "If he takes you away..." he trailed off and I heard him sniffle from his end. I felt my heart break a little since I wasn’t right there to comfort him.

I shook my head to myself, closing my eyes. "He's not. He's not taking me away, baby. Are you at home, yet?"

"Yeah, I'm in bed," he answered. "I can't believe-"

"He's not saying anything, Harry. Don't worry about it, alright?" I paced the room while we talked. "We're still together. Nothing can separate the two of us."

"Nothing," he repeated quietly, like he was about to start to cry. The idea ripped my heart in half because if I would have listened to him, everything would have been fine and he wouldn't be upset at home by himself. 

"I love you, with everything."

"I love you, too," he whispered. "Should I come-"

"No, just stay there, alright? You'll be fine if you miss today."

"Alright. You're sure we're gonna be okay?" Harry asked again. I could hear the vulnerability in his voice, which I hated. This shouldn't have happened, he shouldn't be worrying about whether or not we're staying together because we are staying together.

"I'm sure. Get some rest, baby. I'll be home soon, alright?"

"Alright. Love you," he said again.

I smiled a little and let out a breath. "Love you, too."

I put my phone down on my desk and took a deep breath. I looked through all of my homeroom stuff, figuring out who was in it. I had seniors, and smiled when I had the lower halves of S. I found Harry's and put it in my bag that way he'd have it when I got home and not have to deal with it tomorrow. Just a few minutes after that, I opened my door and let some of the students in, not quite ready to start off my second year of teaching at this high school.