Fifty-Five

In the middle of my second hour, there was a knock on the door. My teacher went over to it and for some reason my stomach knotted. Like when you know you did something and it's only a matter of time until you're caught. Only I didn't do anything. Not that could get me in trouble, or called out for any reason. 

I saw Louis at the door, tears streaming down his face. I stood up, making my whole table look at me, but I didn't care. Mr. Martinez looked at me and waved me over. “Get your things,” he called before I could walk all the way over there.

I hastily threw my stuff into my backpack and quickly walked to the doorway. The second I was in the hall, Martinez closed the door behind me. “What's wrong?” I asked, forcing myself not to reach out for him.

“Let's go to my room,” Louis said shakily. I nodded and walked besides him, worry consuming me. Why was he crying? What happened?

Louis closed the door and pulled me to his chest tightly. “Mom’s in the hospital,” he rushed out, his voice breaking. “And it doesn't look good,” he admitted.

My heart dropped. “What? Why are you here?” I asked pulling back. “Why aren't you flying out there?” Don't cry, don't cry.

“She wants us both there. Will you-” he choked on a sob. I squeezed his hands to tell him that it was alright.

“Now? I asked. “We can go right now.”

“Yeah, I've already talked to everyone, everything’s set up. I can't believe this. She was just fine…” Louis rubbed his face. “I need her.”

“Where are your keys?” I asked, moving to his desk, collecting what I knew he needed. “Never mind,” I said, finding them. “Come on.”

“I can drive-” Louis started to say, but I shook my head.

“I'll suck it up it up. You shouldn't be driving right now, baby.” 

I wanted to hold him so badly as we walked through the halls because he seemed so disconnected. I couldn’t though. It was already bad enough I was leaving school with him in the middle of the day and I was about to drive his car. Obviously we're closer than just student/teacher, and if anyone saw it and didn’t question it, they’d have to be insane.

“Hey, what are you two doing?” Zayn asked while walking down the hall towards us. I wouldn't let myself panic. I couldn't. Not this time.

“Funny story,” I started. “Tomlinson got a ride from me today because I saw him walking, and he had a family thing come up, so I'm gonna drive him back to his house.”

“What happened?” Zayn asked. He had a doubtful look on his face, but quickly let it go. I looked back at Louis, who looked so out of it. “I'll call you later to figure it out. You should probably get going.”

“Yeah,” I said, then grabbed Louis’ wrist.

I lead Louis to his car and he got in the passenger's seat while I put everything in the back, grabbing my wallet that had my license from my backpack. I threw it on the dash when I got in the car.

“She can't die, Harry. I don't know what I'm going to do without her.” He seemed so distant. I hated it. I hated seeing him this way. He didn’t deserve it. 

“She's not gone, Louis.” I reach over and grab his hand though it terrifies me to only drive with one hand. “We'll be there and we'll see her in just a few hours.”

He stayed silent after, which was deafening. He's never quiet for long. Louis is a loud person. A loud, bright, person.

I got us to the house and grabbed Louis’ hand when I walked around to his side of the car. We went inside and he immediately went to the room and shut the door. 

My heart dropped, but I forced myself to remember the first time I told him I didn't want him to come with me to Gemma’s grave. I just needed to be on my own. I had to give him that space. 

I went back to his car and started grabbing his stuff from school, carrying it inside. It took two trips but normally it takes both of us. I couldn’t remember how I had it stacked earlier, but it didn't matter. 

I paced the living room for five more minutes and bit my lip. He still hadn't opened the door, and I didn't know if I should have gone in. 

Louis would come check on you, even if you did just tell him to go away. 

I knocked on the door, letting my hand fall to the handle, but not turning it. “Boobear?” I called. There wasn't a response from him. “Lou, do you want me to come in?”

I heard a shuffle, and I didn't care. I opened the door and saw Louis sitting on the edge of the bed, his arms wrapped around himself. My heart broke at the sight, and my body reacted before my mind could comprehend it.

I was kneeling on the carpet in front of Louis, reaching up so that I could press our foreheads together. “Hey, hey, don't cry.” I wiped at his face. “She's going to be okay.”

“No, she's not. Lottie told me how bad it all is. Harry, I can't… My mom is everything. She's done so much and…” he trailed off as he sobbed more. “I need her, Hazza.”

You can't cry. Be strong for Louis. He's always strong for you, you have to do it now. “She's always gonna be with you. You'll always hear her in the back of your head. You'll feel her, she's never truly gone, Louis.” I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him tightly. “She'll never be gone.”

Louis nodded against my shoulder, letting out a long breath. “We need to get ready,” he said shakily. “The flights at one. It's what…”

“Nine thirty. We have plenty of time, Boobear.” I kissed his neck. “How long are we gonna be there?” I started running my hands through his hair. 

“I don't know. I don't know how long this is gonna take,” he admitted. “When are finals?”

“In a month. Everything will be figured out by then.”

“What… what if I have to stay in Doncaster? For my family.  What about us?” 

“Don't, Lou. You're digging a hole, baby. We don't need to worry about that.” I held him even tighter.  “One thing at a time.”

“We can't break up,” Louis said in a broken voice. “But you couldn’t stay and-”

“Louis,” I said in what I hope was a loving yet stern tone. “Don't work yourself up. If that had to happen, I would come back, but we wouldn't break up. I'm in love with you, Louis. Would living that far apart suck? Royally. But we would both be doing what we needed, then we could figure something out.” I pulled back to look at him, brushing away more tears, trying not to let my own fall. “Nothing can separate the two of us.”