Forty-Nine

“I just don't get how he keeps going back to try to talk to her when all she's doing is using him,” Lottie ranted as she looked through her nail polish. “And I'm trying to be his friend and offer him advice I think would work instead of trying to ruin everything, considering the fact that I like him.”

I nodded my head. “Okay. Well, normally I'd say just to tell him how you feel, but I know that's not the most ideal situation.”

She grabbed a dark blue polish and shook it. “I don't want to lose him. He is my best friend and the thought of not being able to talk to him after a break up would kill me.” I put my hand down flat as she opened the bottle. “And I've told him stuff, obviously. I don't want him to think too much into it or say yes because of something I told him.”

I nodded as she began to paint my nails. “So that's the first problem. The next one is that none of my friends ever agree. Like we're all a giant friend group. Some of us are closer than others and we're not supposed to get mad at anyone for not being as close, but it never works out that way. And I'm trying to keep peace but they only want to listen to part of what I have to say and not the full advice.”

“Then stop giving it and let them figure it out. Let them realize that what you're saying actually works and that listening to you actually gets them somewhere.” Lottie nodded as she finished my first hand, moving onto the second. “Seriously. They'll realize that you literally keep them together. Or they’ll realize that it won’t work out between them all, but that doesn’t mean you’re gonna have to stop hanging out with anyone.”

“That’s just it, I would have to pick. That’s just how they are.” Lottie sighed and cleaned up a sport where she messed up. “Don’t date your friends.”

“Normally I’d agree with you, but I’m telling you this, Lot. Tell him honestly that his current girlfriend is not worth it. Taylor Swift that shit if you have to and pull a You Belong with Me or something, but tell Tom how you feel.” 

Lottie started laughing, falling backwards on her bed. “Taylor Swift? Really?”

“Seriously, just, Why can't you seeeeeeeeee, you belong with meeeeeeee?”

“Stop, oh my God stop,” Lottie barely managed out. She kept laughing, her face really red. “How does Lou put up with you?”

“Because I love him!” Louis called through the door. 

“Go away!” Lottie called in the middle of her laughing fit. “I told you I'm stealing him!”

“He's mine!” Louis called again, laughing. 

I smiled as I looked at my nails. Lottie finally caught her breath and shook her head as she sat back up. “God, he's something else. Do you want me to take that off?”

I looked at her like she was insane. “Why would I have you paint my nails if I was going to have you take it right back off.”

“Hey, I didn't know if you were just being nice.” she put her hands up and I gasped.

“I’m offended.”

Lottie rolled her eyes and shook her head. “You are something else, Styles.”

“Why, thank you,” I grinned. 

She motioned for my hands again. “Well if I'm doing them, I'm doing them right. Give ‘em back.”

I laughed as she placed them flat on the board she was using. She smiled to herself when she thought I wasn't paying attention. I could feel how much they actually liked and trusted me, which was all I wanted from them. I couldn't believe that out of everyone Louis liked, his family liked me the most.