Forty-One

My head was throbbing. I groaned and tried to open my eyes, but the light was too bright, so I closed them again.

“Harry,” someone said. I grunted in response. “Harry, are you okay?” They put their hand on my leg.

I squeezed my eyes shut. No, my head feels like a thousand dull knives carving small holes. 

“He's starting to wake up. Of course I'm going to keep you updated, that's why I called you in the first place,” the voice said. I groaned as their words rattled around in my head, seemingly too loud. “Yes, as soon as he's released I’m taking him over there.”

“Hurts,” I managed out. I felt the person pat my leg and give it a gentle squeeze, then removed their hand all together.

“I'll be over with him soon. Yeah, talk to you later, Tommo.” There was shuffling before I heard footsteps getting further from me. 

“He's starting to wake up. Said something about hurting.”

I slowly opened my eyes, having to squint. Niall was in the doorway, leaning against it. I realized I was in a hospital and not at my house or his. My head was throbbing and my ribs hurt.

A doctor came in, walking over to me. “Hello, I'm Dr. Yenton. Can you tell me your name?”

Niall walked back over, and I stared at his shirt. “Why are you covered in blood?”

“Answer me, I need to see if your memory had been affected.” I turned back to Dr. Yenton.

I was more concerned about why Niall was covered in blood rather than if I could remember anything, and judging by the fact I knew that’s Niall, I would say I’m fine.

“Harry Styles.”

“Birthdate?” He questioned while scribbling down on his board.

“February 1st, 1997.”

“Who's this?” He asked, motioning to Niall. 

“Niall Horan, my best friend. Why is he covered in blood?”

“It's yours, H,” Niall said before the doctor could say anything. “What happened? At your house?”

“I don't know. Will dropped me off at my house, Robin was the only one home, I think. We got into another argument and he pinned me to a wall, but I don't remember after I pushed him off.” 

“Was the last argument physical as well?” The doctor asked, glancing at me.

“Yes,” Niall said before I could deny it, like I was going to do. “He had a bruise across his throat for about four days, and he still has the one on his chin.”

“Niall!” I snapped. I closed my eyes, reaching back to touch my head. “What the hell happened?”

“You somehow hit your head, which I'm beginning to believe your father pushed you into something or caused you to trip.” Dr. Yenton looked at his clipboard. “You had to get stitches to close the wound on the back of your head. Your breathing was slightly labored. How does your chest feel?”

“My ribs hurt,” I admitted. “It hurts to try to breathe in too deeply.”

“Fuck, H,” Niall mumbled. 

“We're waiting on a cat scan of your ribs. Until then, here is some medication to help with the pain. Just take it easy.”

He left the medication before walking out of the room, leaving Niall with me. “Fuck, I'm glad I randomly came to check on you.”

“Is that how you found me?” I asked, taking the medication. “What even happened?”

“My only guess was that you two had started arguing again, then you either tripped or he pushed you and you hit your head. Louis is freaking out.” 

“I want Lou,” I whispered. “I hate that we can't be together.” I closed my eyes and leaned against the pillows.

“I already promised to take you over there as soon as you were released. You'll see him soon, okay?” Niall reached for my hand, giving it a squeeze. “It'll be okay.”

“I'm seriously never going back. I tried, I just can't. I can't.”

“No one's expecting you to go back. You're eighteen, Harry. You can make your own choices.”

Louis pulled me to his chest the moment I was out of Niall's car. I started crying all over again, mumbling about how sorry I was that this happened again.

“Don't blame yourself. Do not blame yourself, Harry,” Louis mumbled. He lead me inside and Niall followed us in so he would be able to tell Louis everything the doctors told him. 

I stayed close to Louis while him and Niall talked. I didn't want to be separated from him in all honesty. I was leaning against him while we sat on the couch. I would go from completely engaged to kind of disconnected to just-give-me-Louis in seconds. The doctor said that I would have some attention issues most likely for a few days to a week, which was perfectly normal, but if the problem persists longer than two weeks, I needed to tell the doctor when I went back in for my check up.

Louis kept his arm around my waist, his hand underneath my shirt. When I stopped focusing on the conversation, I would focus on how his thumb was sliding back and forth. 

“Haz? Are you okay?” Louis asked softly. I blinked back into the conversation.

“Yeah, sorry,” I mumbled. 

He kissed the side of my head. “How do you feel?” 

“Spacey. Tired. Happy you're here.” I looked at Niall. “Thank you, for everything.”

“Hey, we're best friends. I have to know when shit like this happens.” He smiled and shrugged. “What am I if I'm not saving your ass?”

“Normal teenage things?” I asked. 

“Besides that,” he said with a laugh. “I'm gonna head back to mine, watch over him, Tomlinson.”

“Yeah, because you need to tell me that.” Louis rolled his eyes. “I'll update you later.”

“I’m expecting nothing less!” He shouted as he walked towards the front door. 

Louis pulled me closer to him. I buried my head into his chest, closing my eyes. “I love you.”

“I love you too, baby,” he replied in my hair. “I mean it this time, you are never going back.”

“I don't want to go back. I'm scared, Lou.” 

“Don't be. I'm never letting him touch you again.” He kissed my head. “I don't care, I'll come with you. He is never touching you again.”

“Can we go to bed?” I asked quietly after a few seconds. 

“Yeah, of course, baby. Of course,” Louis agreed, standing up and pulling me to feet before leading me to the bed room.