Forty-Eight

I laughed and covered my mouth, leaning into Louis. “Don't make him choke now,” Louis laughed, rubbing my back.

“I didn't even know him,” Dan added on hysterically, sending me into another fit of laughter. Louis tried not to laugh but couldn't help it. 

“I’m glad you two get a kick out of it,” Johannah told us. “He's told us so many times.”

“It’s great,” I managed out. I had to remind myself that I actually needed air and calmed down. “That's pretty funny.”

Dan looked proud of himself and Louis was still chuckling. I squeezed his hand under the table, a huge smile on both of our faces. Pheoby and Daisy were talking about something while Lottie was texting and Fizzy was paying attention to the conversation with Dan. 

I leaned closer to Lottie and poked her phone. “Who you texting?”

She sighed and set her phone down. “Just my friends.”

“You don't seem too… enthused about that,” I commented. “What's going on?”

“Relationship drama. Friends fighting. You name it and it's going on somehow.” She rolled her eyes and tucked hair behind her ear. “It's not even my drama, it's all of theirs that I get pulled into to help fix. I'm just done with it right now.”

“How about this? When we get back to the house, you tell me what's going on, and I'll give you advice to give them. You'll know more, so you can weed out certain things, but you'll know if the advice is worth telling them.” 

Lottie considered the offer for a few seconds before slowly nodding. “Yeah, actually. That'd be nice.”

I nodded and then turned back to the original conversation. I leaned into Louis and he kissed the side of my head. “I'm letting your sister kidnap me for a while after dinner.”

“Beware, she will convince you to paint your nails,” he warned. I chuckled and he smiled.

“You can consider me warned.” We kissed and soon after the food came. It was really nice just laughing and talking, nothing too serious going on at all. Being able to do that with some type of family feeling to it.

Once we were in the car, I looked at Lottie. “I heard a manicure is included in this, I better not be disappointed.”

I saw her smile before looking out the window and Louis felt kiss the back of my head. “You're amazing,” Louis whispered.

“It’s nothing major,” I whispered back. I kissed his jaw and closed my eyes, curling into him with a smile.