Chapter 6: Canary

There was always a nominal meeting scheduled at the Herhardt's mansion every summer. But this year, everyone knew that Claudine von Brandt did not visit Arvis just for that simple reason.

The meeting was created for the two families to pre-negotiate and promote friendship between the different parties before announcing the engagement to the public. The two families' purpose of the meeting was clear and neither side had tried to hide it. Especially Claudine.

"Hello, Duke Herhardt."

Claudine greeted Matthias with perfect courtesy. The cousin that stood in front of Matthias had grown into a refined lady. He could barely see any traces of the short, whiny girl.

"Welcome, Lady Brandt."

Matthias also formally greeted Claudine back.

The two gracefully smiled at each other.

There was nothing new going on between the two. Although they weren't very close or intimate, they have seen each other for a long time, so they both knew: how thoroughly aristocratic Matthias von Herhardt and Claudine von Brandt were to the bones. And that was the most biggest and obvious reason why they chose each other.

Matthias skillfully escorted Claudine. Elysse von Herhardt had ordered her servants to prepare their afternoon tea in the glass greenhouse connected to the back of the mansion. It was one way of showing Elysse's consideration for Claudine because she loved the greenhouse.

"This greenhouse is always beautiful every time I visit. It's as if Duchess Elysse has moved heaven in here."

Claudine, who drank the tea without a sound, gladly complimented. She spoke in a cheerful, yet calm manner like a courteous lady.

"I've spent so much time decorating this place. I'm looking forward to passing it on to a hostess who knows its value."

Elysse von Herhardt replied in a soft voice. Countess Brandt glanced at her daughter with a proud and emotional look. Claudine gave a moderate, shy smile.

"Matthias, show Claudine around Arvis's heaven."

Elysse von Herhardt whispered at the end of their tea time. Full-scale negotiations seemed to have started taking place.

As Matthias extended his hand, Claudine smoothly placed her translucent lace gloved hands over Matthias's. The sudden image of the pale white hand, stained with dust and blood, was briefly revived over Matthias's head and then disappeared.

The two walked along the trail as they conversed on a moderate topic. A slow stream of water flowed down from the marble fountain that adorned the center of the greenhouse. The clear cries of birds diluted the afternoon's languid atmosphere.

Claudine stealthily glanced at Matthias. Even though he always had a peaceful smile, it was hard to read his true emotions. As well as his attitude towards the world.

He was a man of impeccable politeness but he was also a man of arrogance who had never bowed down to anyone in his life. He was quite an interesting subject to observe, according to Claudine of course.

"The birds in this greenhouse are really pretty."

Claudine marveled at the colorful birds perching on the branches. Matthias had only now recognized the existence of these birds in the glass greenhouse.