Chapter 114

“Dr. Etman is coming to visit Matthias?” Elysee von Herhardt asked after hearing that their doctor was coming and going to check the Duke's health.

“Yes my Lady, I heard that he went there today…” The maid, intimidated by the sharp tone she had taken with her, visibly cowered down as she mumbled under her breath.

After hearing this, she was silent for a moment.

When the middle-aged maid next to the two duchesses nodded, the young maid took that as a sign and hurriedly left with the empty dishes in the room. By the time she was gone, only two side dishes had remained in the quiet drawing-room.

“What should I do? He was a child who grew up without getting sick…” Elysee von Herhardt looked at her mother-in-law with anxious eyes. The former Duchess on her part, also appeared full of worry.

Bill Remmer and Leyla's departure shocked and confused everyone in Arvis, and it was rather a great concern for them as well. Even though the relationship between the two was concerning, Leyla's interactions with Matthias before gave no indication why they would leave them this hastily.

Fortunately, it didn't seem as though Matthias was too bothered by their disappearance.

That's right! It was needless for her to worry, Matthias was probably too worried about the wedding drawing near.

Furthermore, it seemed as though Matthias had gotten quite busy with his responsibilities lately, he appeared thinner than usual after all. Still, this much stress was expected, especially if he wanted to set his businesses in order before leaving for his honeymoon.

“I worry,” Elysee fretted out loud anyway, “You don't think he is getting sick because of that girl is he?” she quickly turned to the older duchess, to which the old lady of the house gave her a sharp stare.

“Stop! We can't entertain reasons like that to be true.” The old lady cut off her daughter-in-law's concerns with cold words, “He is only a little stressed and overworked. He'll be fine once he gets some rest.” She huffed out with finality.

“I guess you are right”.

“Of course. If we ask Dr. Etman later and listen to Matthias' condition, we will know for sure. For now, don't worry about anything.” Norma quickly reassured her.

Elysee von Herhardt's expression darkened. Her face also mirrored the tone of her mother-in-law which grew more determined. Trusting her words, eventually Elysee nodded more confidently.

'Was the love he held for Leyla in his heart deep?' Elysee thought worriedly. It was certainly possible for him to feel so strongly for her. After all, young people always fall in love so easily and quite earnestly prematurely.

It is easy to feel so much passion when one is still naïve and immature. Still, this was Matthias they were talking about and not anyone else. Her son was not like the others, was he? He had never been.

He always exhibited aristocratic traits of insensitivity and regal aloofness that always gave the impression to others that he was a level-headed young Lord. For the longest time, she held the same opinion of her son. However, recently he had been acting rather unusual, and as his mother, she felt anxious that perhaps something strange had happened.

Their predecessors, the Dukes of Herhardt, never had the reputation of being friendly nor of being sociable men, Matthias was the same too. However, lately Matthias's temperament felt a little different from theirs.

Still, even if he slightly differed from the previous Lords, he was an upstanding Duke that a little deviation was hardly anything to take issue with. He is, after all, known as the pride of the Herhardts. There has never been such greater praise than to be bestowed with such a title.