Chapter 38: The Time When I Loved You

Accurate predictions may sometimes be displeasing. Matthias suddenly realized that this morning, when he was gazing down at the rose garden without Leyla Lewellin.

He had his doubts if she would show herself up for now, after being such a downer. Matthias had guessed it at the moment he heard Hessen's report in his office last night. Nevertheless, witnessing Leyla's absence with his own two eyes had given him some annoyance.

'She's pretty damn stupid.'

While laughing, Matthias rolled down the thin curtain then turned around.

Linda Etman's heist was a ruse.

Breaking Leyla Lewellin's heart and tarnishing her pride was her true purpose. She devised another plan after her failure to stop his son; It would be Leyla who needed to be stopped.

Matthias delightedly applauded and gave a hats off to Mrs. Etman's great approach. She had a superb hold on her opponent and stabbed her blade precisely on the target.

Her hostility towards Leyla bestowed him with a lot more entertainment than he had expected. Matthias couldn't keep the laughter from escaping his lips as he listened to Hessen's report yesterday night.

His leisurely weekend morning felt particularly lengthy and stodgy. After changing his clothes, Matthias was once again gazing out of his window while drinking his coffee. Only Bill Remmer and the garden's employees were there, but Leyla was nowhere to be seen.

Was he too greedy in his desire for someone as pathetic as her?

Matthias took a little morning stroll while mocking her sorry state of affairs. Usually, he would stop by the annex to swim in his spare time. The servants who were well acquainted with their Master's routines would flee as soon as they saw him approaching.

He wished to see Leyla cry so he could have some good time today.

As he was taking pleasure as the wind blew in, Matthias happened to arrive at the gardener's cottage. The house without Leyla lounging on the porch while reading a book or doing chores diligently in the yard, was much too quiet.

Matthias' annoyance rose a little. It was when a white pigeon suddenly flew into the house.

The bird flew straight towards the window at the back of the cottage as if it had a specified destination. Without a second's hesitation Matthias made a beeline to where the bird had passed. It perched calmly in the half-opened window, and he noticed a note attached to the bird's leg.

Beyond the window was Leyla's room.

The pigeon didn't flee as Matthias approached it.

'Carrier pigeon?'

Matthias looked at the bird with a scowl before gently catching it.

Although being in human hands, the pigeon was very docile. Matthias stared carefully at the note the bird brought before a sudden cry from the window jarred him out from his muse.

Matthias lifted his head, and he found Leyla sniveling and laying in bed like a dead person in her room that he had previously thought was empty.

Leyla opened her eyes and laid still, her gaze was glued to the ceiling for some time.

The room was lathered in blinding light. The sound of birds chirping in the tree outside the window was clear and lively , like the summer sunshine in the morning.

As her dreamlike senses reawakened one by one, the bitter truth that she had forgotten due to her sickness slowly revived.

'How strange…'