Chapter 25: The Color of My Sadness

By a mere chance, Matthias saw Leyla through the other side of the car window.

Leyla was running across the road with a beaming smile on her face that he had never seen before. She let her long, loose blonde hair whip around by the wind following her springing footsteps.

Matthias clenched his hand slightly. He was about to tell the driver to slow down the car, but eventually, he changed his mind and merely scoped a glance at her running towards a middle-aged man who was none other than Bill Remmer.

Leyla leapt with light steps into the gardener's arms like a winged bird, and the gardener caught her in a bear hug. She appeared like a little girl in his big arms and smiled so widely as if it were the brightest smile in the world and seeing that the gardener burst into laughter.

At that moment, the car whizzed past them. Matthias left his gaze from the window and peered down onto his hands. From that slightly raised hand, he still could feel her touch and the lingering smell of her body on that day.

The engagement was soon, around the corner.

By the time Matthias felt alleviated by that verity, the car had passed through the gate of the Arvis mansion.

Leyla's wish came true.

Everything was back to being fine after Uncle Bill's return.

Her adolescent sadness, the unpleasant memories of her horrible first kiss, all of her bewilderment and despair wound down as she was no longer alone.

In the meantime, the morning and evening weather grew chillier. The days wore down, and the Arvis manor began to have a more stately jubilant atmosphere than it ever had in the past.

“Oh, don't even mention it, I'll serve all the greatest cuisine in the world.” Madam Mona, who had barely made it to the forest, kicked up a rumpus with a straight face. She leaned leisurely on a chair next to Bill Remmer and began to bleat in earnest. “I'm already scared to think how grand their wedding would be if their engagement ceremony is so ritzy like this.”

Leyla had just returned from milking the goats and greeted her with a cheerful smile.

“Wait a little longer, Leyla. Tomorrow I will make your mouth water until you're sick of it. Regardless of how many guests are invited, they won't be able to finish half of the food I will cook.”

Leyla unconsciously clutched the tip of her blouse at Madam Mona's hearty laugh. The hickeys sowed by the duke on her neck were still painfully obvious even after a few days. The red marks which showed in the mirror every time she looked in it made her feel ashamed and disgusted.

“Is the engagement ceremony already tomorrow?”

“Please, don't use the word 'already' Leyla. I hope that…..no, I'm simply hoping for a quick ending to this engagement ceremony.”

“It's tomorrow…” Leyla muttered quietly, then smiled again. “Yes, auntie. I will wait for it.”

She sought to grin more brightly as if to erase her nightmare-like memory. Ever since that day, the duke had never once set his foot in the forest. Pleased to state, it was a glee for Leyla to know that.

“I like chocolate cookies. And raspberry cake too!”

“I'll bring you a bulk of chocolate or raspberries.”

“How can I repay you?” asked Leyla.

“Repay? Just eat a lot and grow up well.”

“Do I have to grow up to be as big as Uncle Bill?”