Chapter 34: An Excuse for Breaking Her Heart

Like the light of the dusk, a warm smile tinged on his face the minute he found Leyla strolling down the forestry trail.

“Leyla!”

Kyle yelled her name aloud. Leyla, who was walking with her gaze down staring at the ground, promptly lifted her head in eyes widened.

Kyle couldn't keep the grin off his face from adoring that moment. The moment Leyla quickened her stride whenever she got a hold of his presence was always very adorable.

Leyla flashed a beaming smile as she neared closer to him.

“When did you get here?”

“I went to your cottage a while ago and they told me that you had been summoned to the Duke's manor, so I was on my way to save you.”

“Save me?”

“Isn't it obvious why Lady Brandt called you?”

“Not today,” said Leyla as she took a step forward. Kyle trailed behind, his stride was perfectly timed with her.

“It was Grand Duchess Norma, not Lady Brandt.”

“Grand Duchess? She did?”

“Yeah, she congratulated me on passing the exam and asked if there was anything I wanted as a gift.”

“And what did you say?”

“I said nothing. I just conveyed my gratitude for letting me stay here.”

“Wow, it was so Leyla Lewellin-Esque answer.”

Kyle just smirked at what he had guessed. He gently scooped her hand, and Leyla seemed to be less nervous compared to the past. This small change brought his level of happiness climbed by one or two notches.

They strolled along the familiar road, hand in hand, as they shared stories. It began by their everyday routines, mystery novels published in today's newspapers, and their meagre summer plans for this year. As always, the intimate atmosphere snippet mingled with their rhythmic footfall, who was walking alongside one another.

Before long, the afternoon sky was broken, and jolted the twilight from its light slumber.

When the nightfall dawned, the sea of trees was soon blanketed in its beauty. Kyle yanked Leyla's hand and dragged her into the darkness with him.

He leaned her body against the tall tree on the side of the road as she reeled, then stepped in front of her. Everything happened in the blink of an eye, yet Kyle felt as if time had halted still for eternity throughout that moment.

Leyla glanced at him, bewildered.

“Kyle?”

Her voice was trembling a tad as she spoke. Her bonnie pink delicate lips glowed attractively even in the pitch blackness of the nite.

Kyle summoned all his courage and bent his head towards her; his eyes slammed shut. The warm skin soon reached his lips, but he wasn't pleased with the touch he was getting.

Kyle opened his eyes and laughed out loud. He found out that his lips had kissed Leyla's hand rather than what he planned.

“I felt weird doing this, Kyle.” Leyla was gazing at him with her blushing face while her other hand was firmly covering her lips.

As Kyle slowly raised his head, once again she spoke,

“It seems like we're doing something bad if we do this, and I….”

Leyla dropped her gaze quietly, unable to bring herself to finish her words. Her pale, long eyelashes were likewise heading down.

'Don't you think this is wrong?'