Chapter 62: A Night At The Town Hall

The chatter around the town hall was loud, Leyla herself had been quite busy overseeing the progress of her students' preparations. Just as she'd come out towards the lobby, Mrs. Grever came up to her, face flushed as she saddled up beside her.

“Miss Lewellin, look here!” she whispered hurriedly, “It's Duke Herhardt! He's here!” she squealed rather excitedly. Leyla felt as though a bucket of cold water had just been dumped at her.

“The Duke? He's here?” she hurriedly inquired, looking towards the direction Mrs. Grever had been pointing to, “I thought it would be Madam Herhardt that would be attending tonight.” she murmured as she realised Mrs. Grever was right.

Matthias was here.

“Yes, it's the Duke, not his mother who is attending.” Mrs. Grever giggled, before cooing in awe, “And look! He even brought his grandmother along with him!” she exclaimed.

It was surprisingly easy to spot the Duke, mostly because of the crowd that had swarmed him the moment he'd arrived. It was the exact moment she was looking at him, did his eyes manage to meet hers.

Leyla felt her chest suddenly constrict underneath his gaze, and lightly tipped her head forward into a bow, pretending as though she was wordlessly greeting him from afar. Fortunately, they didn't have too much interaction as he was quickly swept away by the crowd.

Leyla found herself sighing in relief at his disappearance.

“Say, Miss Lewellin, you live right next to Arvis, don't you?” Mrs. Grever asked, and she nodded, “Then that would mean you see him quite often too?” The missus looked quite despondent that the Duke had disappeared from their immediate vicinity, completely missing the way Leyla shifted on her feet uncomfortably.

“I, well, I guess… sometimes,” she mumbled, hands clasped in front of her as she fidgeted, feeling absolutely guilty even though she had no reason to. Mrs. Grever sighed, pouting slightly.

“Ah, how lucky of you!” she sighed once again, “It's sure quite the treat to see such a handsome face everyday. Even at a distance.” she finished before moving away to get back to choir practice as she had been charged with taking care of the upper class' performance.

Ever since the picnic last autumn, the one held in Arvis, Mrs. Grever had grown quite fond of Duke Herhardt, never missing an opportunity to praise him and his deeds. She would praise how wonderful he was, or how elegant he walked, or how aristocratic he acted.

With a sigh of relief, Leyla too went and joined the other teachers for some last minute preparations, when she finally came face to face with the Duke by the hallway. Her steps faltered for a moment, before she regained her composure to keep walking.

She hoped that he wouldn't notice her passing through. He seemed to be engaged in conversation with an elderly gentleman. She couldn't help but pause once she did pass him by, just to take one last look at him.

He looked so tall from where she stood, the long shadow on the marble floor he casted made him look all the more imposing. The suit he wore accentuated his lithe form, though it also perfectly hugged every firm muscle he had on his body.

Ever since they were children, he made her so fearful and uncomfortable around him. And despite the numerous praises she heard about him, she couldn't find it in herself to find out why they thought so highly of him since she obviously thought otherwise.

Even now, that fact remained unchanged for her, though she now had an insight as to why he was highly respected in their community. He played his role perfectly as the esteemed Duke Matthias von Herhardt, making everyone believe he was born to be respected.