Chapter 21: Time to Become an Adult

“I don't know if I can leave you here alone.”

Bill sighed with a worrisome face.

“Uncle, you'll really miss the train at this rate.”

Leyla kindly urged him. Bill was reassured at her confidence in being home alone, but he somehow felt a little sentimental.

An obituary was delivered to the cabin yesterday afternoon. Bill's brother had passed away. Even though the two brothers weren't close and hadn't seen each other for a long time, Bill couldn't ignore the fact that his brother used to be the only family left in the world.

Bill eventually decided to take a few days off and travel to his hometown. Going there was not a problem for Bill, but leaving the little Leyla alone made his heart feel as heavy as lead.

“You have to make sure to keep the door shut. Even if it's hot, keep the windows closed.”

Bill repeated his words of advice several times since last night.

“The hunting gun is hanging in my room…..”

“I'll make sure to lock the door, the windows, and move the hunting gun that's in your room next to my bed. If a bad person shows up, I'll shoot them.”

Leyla calmly recited the words she had heard so many times.

“I'll eat well, sleep well, and stay well.”

He would only be gone for three days at most, but Bill worried about Leyla as if he was going to be away for months. Bill reluctantly took off, even though he still had a concerned look. Leyla followed him to the entrance of the mansion to see him off.

“Leyla, did something happen at the party that day?”

Bill carefully asked after taking a glimpse of the magnificent mansion building.

“No, I had fun. There weren't any trouble. I'm serious.”1

“I'm glad you did…. But somehow, you seem to be distancing yourself from Kyle after that party.”

“Me? Kyle?”

Leyla laughed as if it was nonsense.

“No way. It's just that… we've been busy these days.”

“Can I take your word for it?”

“Yes. Why would I tell such a lie?”

“That's true. There's no way your relationship with Kyle would get awkward. Then Leyla, if you're too scared to be alone, then bring Kyl…. No, no. Pretend you didn't hear.”

Bill shook his hand with a serious look.

“He's the most dangerous.”2

“Uncleee.”

“If he comes over, make sure to send him back before sunset. Keep in mind.”

“Stop saying strange things now, go ahead.”

Leyla comforted Bill's back with a warm touch.

Bill looked back several times and repeated his advice as he moved further away on the other side of the platanus road.

Leyla stayed there for a while until Bill was no longer in sight. Every time he turned around, Leyla smiled and waved her hands.

She believed the next three days were going to be very long.

~~~~

“Leyla's avoiding me.”

Kyle was sure now.