Chapter 11: Deep Water

The annex, which had large windows attached in all directions, provided a panoramic view of the forest and the river. It was also a place where the wind could freely flow in and out.

The weather today was hotter than ever, so it was hard to feel any chills.

But Leyla felt shivers go down her spine. She was determined to quickly eat and leave, but the food in front of her didn't seem to reduce in amount.

Leyla didn't think she could swallow anything. She already had lunch and even ate a snack. And to count it off, she ran an errand under the sultry heat so she had lost her appetite. Matthias concentrated on his work with his head tilted, but Leyla still found it hard to breathe properly.

Is this like a punishment for my poor errand and flower arrangement?

Leyla pondered as she swallowed another bite of the sandwich. If so, Duke Herhardt had accomplished his goal. Leyla felt like she was being punished.

Leyla hurriedly drank the lemonade to beat the urge to spit out her sandwich. After she wiped the water droplets off her hands with her apron, she picked up the sandwich again. Leyla then lowered the hem of her hat to cover her face that filled with dread. It was at that moment when a long finger suddenly touched the tip of her chin.

"If you're a lady, Leyla."

His hand untied the ribbon knot that was tied under her chin.

"You're supposed to take off this hat when you're inside."

Before Leyla could even reply, Matthias took off her straw hat. Surprised, Leyla reflexively leaped from the sofa. The sandwich fell because of her sudden movement and rolled over the floor. The corner of Matthias's eyes slanted, but Leyla's attention was only focused on her hat.

"Gi- give it back."

Leyla's voice was now quivering with anger, not fear.

"Give it back, please. I will take my leave now. I want to go home. Give it back."

Matthias tightly clutched the hat he snitched. He had no intention of returning it. Leyla reacted as if she was stripped naked, even though it was just her hat that had been taken away. Leyla's red blush that had traveled down her neck amused Matthias. Her sensitive skin had easily responded to her irritation.

"Eat."

Matthias pointed to the sandwich that still had two slices left.

"Eat, get your hat, and go back. It's easy."

"No, I don't want to."

Leyla shook her head as she approached him.

"I don't want to eat. I can't anymore. I hate it."

Leyla's frightened eyes were shaking. She seemed like she had no idea what she was talking about.

Matthias rose from his chair as his grip on the hat tightened more. His figure had cast a shadow over her.

"......You hate it?"

"It's all my fault, so please give it back."

Leyla stretched out her hand. She looked as if she was about to burst into tears. Matthias looked at her face and slowly lifted her hat over his head. Leyla's eyes moved along with his movement.