The price of deceptive appearances

Y/n was feeling uneasy in the room, all eyes were seemingly on her as the dinner with Damien's family went on. They were waiting for the chance to ask her a question and y/n knew that she couldn't keep her cool for too long. She was not enjoying her time here with his parents and she just wanted them to leave her alone. With every minute, the tension in the atmosphere was growing to a new level as she was feeling more and more anxious. Then, Damien's mother spoke as she put down her napkin to get a better look at you, "I'm so glad that you could make it for this dinner, you seem tense dear, are you alright?" she asked with a hint of concern in her voice. You looked at her and nodded slightly, "Y-yes, I'm fine don't worry", you reassured her and she just remained silent for a while before speaking again, "Alright, if you say so", she looked at her son for a brief moment before she resumed her sentence, "I must say Damien, you have certainly surprised me with your choice of bride. She is quite beautiful and intelligent, but I must admit that I had no idea that you two were an item. How did you two meet?". Evelyn seemed like an inquisitive type of person and you tried your best to be as calm as possible before answering her question.

This moment seemed like an eternal struggle, you wanted to say something back, but you just couldn't think of anything, the anxiety was taking over your body. The silence was suffocating and you just hoped that it would be over soon. After a few seconds, you gathered all your courage to reply to her query but before you could even say anything, Damien interfered, "Y/n and I were introduced to each other through mutual friends. They spoke highly of each other, and once we met, we quickly realized that we had a lot in common", he said nonchalantly and you sighed in relief before glancing at his mother and smiled before speaking, "That's right, we share similar values and a similar outlook on life, those are just a few reasons why we became closer over time".

Evelyn was quite surprised but decided to keep her thoughts to herself for a while. She then replied, "I see, that explains why you two have a certain chemistry...but may I ask, is your love genuine?". You looked at her and said confidently, "Of course, we're deeply in love with each other, that's why we're getting married". Evelyn was quite unsure of how she would feel about the answer you gave her. "Hm, that's not what I expected...", she whispered under her breath. You felt anxious as you noticed her reaction but you ignored it. His mother then spoke again, "Well then, you two must be eager to start your new life together. What are your plans for the future?". Damien answered again this time, "We're planning to start a family, of course. We want to have children and build a life together". You nodded in agreement and said, "Yes, we're both looking forward to starting our own family and living a life filled with love". Evelyn seemed satisfied with the answers and then she replied again, "That sounds wonderful, well, I'm certain you'll make an excellent parent, Damien. As for you, Claire, I'm sure you'll make for a fine wife, before we move on to dessert, I have one last question for the both of you".

Y/n and Damien then looked at each other before nodding at Evelyn. His mother then raised her eyebrow in suspicion before speaking again, "Tell me, is your love really genuine, or is it a contractual marriage?". You froze in your seat and you didn't know how she managed to know the truth, you started to ask yourself whether you made a mistake or was it just a mere coincidence. Damien on the other hand remained unfazed as if he was already expecting this moment to happen. "Of course it's genuine, we're deeply in love with each other, and we're mad for each other. There is no contract, only love", he said calmly. His mother was a bit surprised but decided not to ask anything further. She sighed, "Hm, I see. Well, then I suppose that's all for now". You were relieved and a bit proud of yourself as you coped with this situation despite being almost caught.

Everyone was finishing up their dinner and the atmosphere was getting more lively and relaxed. It seemed like y/n managed to pass through the dinner without any major incidents and everything had been going smoothly so far, but she knew that it was far from over. The tension was still hanging in the air and everyone was now waiting for y/n to say a word, she was trying to ignore the stares and look relaxed, but she wasn't really feeling it. All eyes were on her now, everyone was waiting for her to slip up and reveal the whole truth but you didn't let it go through you as you are well aware of the fact that one wrong move could unravel everything. Although you successfully avoided the unwanted predicament, Evelyn was still a bit skeptical about you but she didn't say anything until the dinner party was over.

Soon after, everyone was starting to leave the place while some of Damien's relatives decided to stay for the night at his parent's house. Damien and y/n walked out of the mansion to get some fresh air, he looked at y/n and smiled a bit. "You did a fantastic job, your determination to maintain your façade was quite impressive even though you were shaking in fear back then", he said feeling a bit amused yet he still spoke in his usual cold tone. "Thanks, I'm glad that I made it through this night", you said in a hushed voice.

A couple of minutes had gone by and Damien took out his phone from his pocket and called his chauffeur. The black Panamera Porsche car entered the gates of the mansion before parking it and a man got out of the car and approached you. "This way Miss", the man said flatly and escorted you towards the car, he held the door for you but before you could enter the vehicle, someone called out to you. "Y/n, I have some important business that needs to be finished tonight, don't wait for me, get some much-needed rest and I'll talk to you tomorrow". He turned his back on you and walked away before you could even say anything to him and you just watched him enter the place again, you got inside the car and returned to his house again. You were worn out, y/n went upstairs to take a nice warm bath and the maids prepared a room for her to use. The room was spacious and there was a king-sized bed in the middle and some luxurious furniture around, you lay down comfortably on the bed and you couldn't help but think about the events that occurred tonight. After a while, your eyes shut closed and you slowly drifted off to sleep.

A few moments later, the sound of footsteps approaching the room and the doorknob being twisted can be heard, and the door creaked open as if someone just entered the room and it closed again, you were too exhausted to even get up at that moment and you were sleeping peacefully. You didn't pay too much attention to what was happening in your surroundings.

"Don't leave m-me!", you mumbled in your sleep before you tugged a soft fabric, and something heavy fell over the bed.