Prologue

Let's get one thing straight, Avery Jane Hopkins is not a quiet soul. She speaks her mind, she's stubborn, confident and powerful. She has to be working in a "man's world" after all. Being a real estate broker for her dad's company, she was raised to be shoved in this role since she was born and never really truly explored what she wanted to do. She tolerates her job, she is very intelligent and knows what she is doing, and usually puts better numbers up than a lot of the men who belittle her. Except this was not her true self, she couldn't be that at work, she'd fall apart.

   At 27 years old, she's set to take over her dad's company within the next ten years whenever Jeff decides to retire. Jeff Hopkins loves his daughter very much but does not see eye to eye with her the way she lives her life outside of work as he thinks it's more, "unladylike." He tries to be supportive whether it's tattoos, the "devil's music," as he calls it, and her love for photography. She was told all her life she will never make money in photography, it was all about money and never passion.

  She's heard that term all of her life, it rings in her ears constantly and constantly feels like she is being judged. Blouses and blazers during work hours, t shirts and shorts exposing all of her beautiful tattoos previously covered by her stiff outfit for work at all other times.

   She likes how powerful she feels at work, even if it's not her true passion. At home, it's a different story. Judged for her weight her entire life, even it was years ago, her mother's words still hit her like a train.

   "You should start working out." "Watch how much you're eating." "Quit being lazy."

   She knows her mom tries to say it with good intentions, but she never really understands how much it hurts her daughter, she never knew it would impact her daughter so much. 

   Maybe one day she'll be able to show everyone the badass woman she really is.