19.

I took a deep breath standing on my father's front porch. Noah and Brent are on both sides of me which subdues my anxiety a little bit. Noah takes my hand and gives it a slight squeeze before Brent opens the door.

"Dad?" He called as we step into the large foyer, taking our shoes off. My dad lives a lavish life, and unlike me he likes to flaunt it. The foyer is rather large, painted a dark beige and has a giant chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

"Hey kids!" My dad poked his head out of the kitchen. I could smell the tex-mex he's cooking up, something he is amazing at making. "Hey dad." Brent gives him a hug and I following suit.

"Dad, this is Noah." I gestured at Noah. My dad put on a smile and shakes his hand. A fake smile, I could tell. I know what he was thinking, why all the tattoos and he sings devils music, but I know he's trying for me and I'm determined to get him to love Noah.

  My dad clapped his hands together, "So y'all hungry?" We all nod in agreement. Sat down at the table, I stared Noah down as he's about to take his first bite. He's never had real tex-mex before and my dad will literally kick his ass if he doesn't like it.

  "Wow this is fucking delicious." He blurts out and instantly regrets it. "I mean- I'm sorry sir, this is amazing." My dad stiffened up, clearly annoyed at Noah's small outburst but thanked him anyway.

  After dinner my father brought out a pecan pie, another thing he was amazing at making. "So let's meet in the office, shall we? We have business to discuss." My dad motioning me to his office. "Dad, can we just enjoy the evening?" I huffed.

  "Of course we can, after a little business." I rolled my eyes and drug myself to the office. "Help yourselves to a glass of whiskey if you'd like." He motioned to Brent, ignoring Noah.

  I bounced into the chair on the opposite side of the desk. He folded his hands together and carefully chose his words. "So, Avery, when are we going to stop messing around with that boy and come back to work?" I was taken back by his question.

  "Dad, that is my boyfriend and he's not going anywhere. He's so good to me. But we need to talk about the firm, I'm not coming back."

  He stared at me blankly for a moment, "Excuse me?" He raised an eyebrow. "I'm sorry dad, but I need to do something for me. I am going to California and living my dream." He seemed shocked.

  "I love you, but you can't leave this business, you won't make money prancing around with these screaming bands that make what they call music." He scoffed.

  "And I love you, but this is what I want and this is what I'm going to do. They are my friends." He pursed his lips at my response. "Who the fuck am I supposed to replace you with? I need you Avery. You were born for this!" He stood up raising his voice. My blood has reached its boiling point and I've had enough.

  I stood up to his level and fired back. "You don't know what I was born for! This is your dream, not mine! Brent and Noah and all of my friends have brought me out of my shell and now I see my future so clear and they make me a better person, especially Noah. You will respect him!" Now shouting and pointing at my dad.

  He paused for a moment with his mouth hanging open, not knowing how to proceed. Noah poked his head in the doorway, probably hearing all of this. "Uh- everything okay in here?" He asked awkwardly. "Stay of out of this, son." I felt like my head was going to explode. I stared at my father. "No, Noah. We're leaving. Now."

  Without another word, Noah and I got ready to go and Brent decided to stay with Dad for the night. I stormed out of the house, making my way to the car down the long driveway lined with flowers. It was now pouring rain and Noah and I were soaked, not wearing coats. Before I could open the car door, Noah stepped in front of it, grabbing my face and kissed me which eased the tension a little bit. He pulled away and we stood in silence as Noah pulled me into his chest and resting his head on mine.

  The car ride was silent, and I'm grateful Noah did not bring anything up, because I did not want to talk about it right now, and he knows it.

  When we got home, I changed and dried my hair. Nothing is worse than going to bed with wet hair. Noah and I stayed silent, a silence that we were both comfortable and content with. He turned the tv on and pulled me close to him, playing with my hair. Silent tears ran down my cheek, but not quiet enough for Noah not to notice. He continued to play with my hair and kissed me on my forehead. "I love you" is all I heard before my eyes became heavy and everything went black.

~

Noah

I looked over at Avery in the tv light. Her lips barely parted, and looked so peaceful, more than she did an hour ago. I hate the way her father spoke to her and clearly did not give me a chance. I'm a forgiving man, and hopefully we can try again another time. I know this broke Avery a little bit, and it breaks my heart to see her so sad.

  I watched a little bit more of whatever bullshit was on the tv when I heard a knock at the door. It's 11pm, who in there right mind is here? Avery stirred, luckily she did not wake up. She deserves to sleep peacefully.

  I threw sweatpants and a t shirt on and quietly unlatched the door to see Avery's dad. "Oh - hi sir. How can I help you? Avery is asleep." I greeted him respectfully.

"Please Noah, call me Jeff. I actually came to speak to you. May I come in?" I was surprised and perplexed with his calm demeanor. What could be so urgent? I let him in and followed him to the kitchen to watch him pour two glasses of whiskey over ice and handed one to me. "Let's go on the back patio, shall we?" I nodded and followed him through the kitchen and out the sliding back door.

Jeff was the first one to break the tension. "Noah, I feel like I didn't give you a fair chance. I've never seen Avery so, herself, outside of work, she must love you."

I smiled and took a sip of my whiskey. "And I love her so much. I know you don't approve of the situation and Avery leaving the firm, or maybe even me, but I can promise you that she shines at what she loves to do. It's amazing. She is going to be so taken care of, by me, by all of her friends."

He nodded and took a sip of his drink. I could tell he was nervous to tell me something. He turned slightly towards me, "Noah, I'm sorry the way I treated you. I'm not crazy about tattoos and don't care for the music you make, but you really love my daughter, and for that I like you and respect you. There's a reason I've been so hard on Avery taking over the business. I have something to tell you, and you need to promise me you will not tell Avery."

I held my breath and nodded.

"I have stage 2 pancreatic cancer."