A Heart

"What happened after that?" The police officer asks innocently. He is smiling a shark smile and sipping the Fizzy I poured him, adding my secret ingredient (the expired milk of course). 

"What do you think happened?" I roll my eyes until I can't see anything and he gasps, shocked for the first time this evening. How ironic with everything I've just told him.

"Well to the bodies, I mean." His voice sounds suddenly squeaky and silly. Stress.

"It's all over the news. I dug Julissa's heart out and wrote on it with a needle. Then I put it to sleep in what was going to be her new apartment." 

"What about little Winnie? There never was a report of a found child corpse on the highway."

"I cleared up, didn't I? And the dude who hit us drove away without caring."

"You cleared up you say... how did you clear up, Miss Eakes?"

"... Are you stupid? I got rid of the body and the car duh."

"In what way?" I'm impressed by his patience really.

"Buried the body, the car is in my garage,"

"You went to a lot of trouble to hide Winnie's body. Why didn't you hide Julissa's?"

"... Because I was angry. We had a fight in the car... it was about our... relationship. I told her how much she meant to me and how I'd let the landlord use me so she could stay there... she wasn't grateful. She was disgusted. She said she thought I was rich and that having sex for money was whore behavior. And she was shouting and shouting and when.she died I just wanted to... disrespect her like she did me... her heart... she didn't love me."

"We're none of us truly loved, Revere, but we don't go desecrating corpses about it... by the way... we found your mother's body."

"What? I spoke to my mom yesterday?" I lie.

"I doubt that very much. Her whole house stunk like a skunks. She was badly decomposed..." The police officer stands up to cuff me. 

But I'm too quick for him. I run to the window, climb on the sill, punch the glass hard and jump high. I can hear the policeman shouting something, but I can't hear whar, over the loud screaming. My own desperate clanging protests of a heart being wrenched off its hinges, falling out of its protective ribcage. And I realize something. If I ever want someone again and they don't willingly give me their heart I will take it by force again. As mother always said: "You have to use violence, if gentle doesn't work. They need to love you." A heart for a heart, indeed.