Chapter One

Betrayal

A N D R E A

A N D R E A

Most writers and poets describe love as the most beautiful feeling in the world but I contradict it. Everyone talks about how it has the power to make one feel alive, happy, and fulfilled but no one talks about its dark side. 

Love is not always a bed of roses. It can also be the worst and most painful, heartbreaking, and devastating feeling in the world. No one wants to talk about heartbreaks, disappointments, and betrayals. Why? 

Aren't they all part of this love as well? No one pays attention to these aspects. 

Love, like a double-edged sword, can cut deep and leave scars that never heal. It can make us feel like we are on top of the world one moment, and then bring us crashing down the next. The pain of heartbreak can be unbearable, leaving us feeling lost, alone, and broken. It holds the power to make us question everything we thought we knew about ourselves and the world around us. 

"All men are scumbags, Andrea. They all are the same." Jade's eyes hardened as she continued, "You know, I always had a suspicion about Emily. She always seemed a bit too interested in you and your boyfriend. But I never thought she would stoop so low as to cheat on you with him."

I stayed silent the whole time, staring blankly into my drink. It felt like someone was stabbing me with several knives, piercing right through my heart. Every passing second was making me bleed. My heart and my mind were in constant conflict this entire time. 

The man I loved for 7 years didn't even hesitate to cheat on me with my best friend? 

I could feel the alcohol slowly starting to take its effect, but who cares about it? For now, I want to drink my heart out until it soothes the pain that's eating me up inside. I want to drink until I forget about the heartbreak and betrayal of my best friend and my boyfriend. The people whom I trusted the most, and they didn't care enough about me before shattering my heart into several tiny pieces. 

"One more drink, please", I say, calling out to the bartender and asking for another drink. He nods and goes to the other side of the bar to make it. I watch him work, my mind wandering to happier times. Remembering the way Ryan used to look at me, the way he used to make me feel. I remember the way Emily used to laugh, the way we used to share everything. 

But those times are gone now, replaced by a deep sense of hurt and betrayal. I take a sip of my drink, the alcohol burning my throat. I know that I shouldn't be drinking so much, but I can't help it. I want to forget, to numb the pain.

And finally, a thick drop of tears rolled down my cheek as flashbacks of what happened a few hours ago started flashing in my mind. 

Flashback: 2 hours ago: 8 p.m: