Power Play

"I really wish you were here, Kyle," I say as I talk with Kyle on the phone in the penthouse living room.

"I know. Me, too. How is everything?" Kyle says.

"Amazing. This penthouse Mr. Davenport set up for us is incredible. You gotta come visit us sometime." I say.

"I know. I just got a lot going on. It's football season and with the big game happening next weekend, my coach has been having us practice non-stop. But don't worry, I'll come visit you soon. I promise." Kyle says.

"Okay. Well, good luck on the game next week." I say.

"Thanks. Bye." Kyle says.

"Bye," I say.

"Who was that?" Stefan says, making me jump. I didn't see him walk into the living room.

"Stefan, don't scare me like that," I say, putting my phone in my pocket.

"Sorry," Stefan says.

"I was just talking with Kyle," I say.

"Oh," Stefan says.

"Yeah. We were just catching up. He might come visit us soon." I say.

"Oh...that's great," Stefan says. We stand awkwardly in silence for a few moments.

"So...what's up?" I finally spoke up.

"I came downstairs because I wanted to ask you something," Stefan says.

"What do you want to ask me?" I say, nervously.

"Have you thought about your decision yet?" Stefan says.

"What decision?" I say.

"You know...about us," Stefan says.

"Oh, that. Right. I don't know." I say.

"I don't believe that," Stefan says.

"Well, it's the truth," I say.

"I know you have feelings for me. You just won't admit it." Stefan says.

"Can we talk about this later?" I say.

"You're doing that again," Stefan says.

"Doing what again?" I say.

"Avoiding things that scare you," Stefan says.

"I'm...I'm not scared. I..."

"You're scared because you care about me. Those feelings that you have, you worry how it will affect your friendship with Kyle. You're afraid to lose him. Trust me, I understand but you have to be honest with yourself, Cass. You can't hold this off for much longer. Eventually, you are going to have to make a choice." Stefan says.

"I know. I...I just need more time. I've had a lot going on. Moving to a new city, working with this new team." I say.

"We've all had a lot going on," Stefan says.

"The truth is...I've been going under a lot of stress lately. With the shapeshifters and the training. I don't like to show it but I tend to get stressed a lot. I think my powers might have something to do with it as well." I say.

"Well, I know something that might help," Stefan says. He leans in and presses his lips against mine. Once he kissed me, all of my worries began to wash away. I didn't have that anxious feeling anymore. My body relaxed and I wrapped my arms around Stefan.

But then I remembered something and quickly pulled away. "No. I can't. I'm sorry." I say, storming out of the room.

"Cassie, wait," Stefan says.