Safe For Now...

Narrator: Smiles loves games and this isn't your regular cat and mouse game. Only one can walk out the winner.

"This is too easy. The door swings open and you just expect us to go in." Jeremy ranted.

"Well..." I said with one foot across the front door opening looking back at Jeremy wondering if he would follow.

"You know what they say, ladies first." He said watching me walk.

"Oh now you want to be a gentleman, just admit it because you're too scared to walk into this house. Well I don't need your b.s. , thank you very much." I said as calmy as I could manage before taking another step inside.

I thought it was cold outside. Inside here it felt like a freezer. Finally Jeremy came inside the house behind me. Then the door behind us shut loudly without either one of us touching it. I felt the same feeling in my stomach again.

I felt Jeremy whisper in my ear. "What is going on?"

"Beats me, but is it okay if I hold your hand?" I said sounding worried. "Just as a precaution."

"Look who's scared now." He said holding my hand.

I felt like slapping him then and there for being so naive. But since I couldn't really see I decided not to take my chances, because what if I missed. I only wanted to hold his hand, because I'm afraid of losing him in this humongous house. So yeah I'm afraid, but at least I have a very good reason for it.

"Are we going to look around, or are we going to stand here all day?" He said full of authority.

"Excuse you... We are not here to play, and I don't know if you noticed, but we're in the dark and that tells me we can't see jack-didly-squash. Unless you got night vision eyes I suggest you shut up."

"So what's the plan then?"

"There isn't a plan. We just need to stick together."

"You think the guy who lives here might be home though?"

"I don't know! Why do you keep asking all these questions."

"Geez I'm sorry."

"Right." I said light hearted leading him and myself away from the closed front door.

I just hope when I get home tonight my mom is asleep like my dad, and she forgets I was out tonight. I hate when she stays up and tries to interrogate me.

*Flash back from a previous time I got in trouble and my mom waited for me to come home*

"Thanks for the ride Stace see yah tomorrow at school." I shouted as her dad's 4 wheel drive turned the corner.

Then I walked inside, with a half empty soda in my hand to see my mom sitting on the sofa reading a Oprah magizine. That's when I knew I screwed up.

"Where were you?"

Wow a great way to greet me home. No how was the movie's.

"At the movie theater with Stacey remember you let me go?"

"Yes I remember. I told you to be back at 6:00 pm and you're just making it home at 7:00?"

"The movie was 2 hours long mom. If I would've known I would've called you before hand, because once your inside the theaters you will get kicked out for being on your phone. But next time I'll make sure to get all the information okay."

"Next time?" She laughed turning the page. "There won't be no next time. As of now you're grounded.

"But-"

"Go to your room and think about that. Ha! Next time psssh please this girl got it easy and she wanna take advantage of me!" She said ignoring me as I stood there in disbelief.

*Flash back ends*

Then I went up to my room. Remembering how mad I was at my mother made me feel angry inside right now, but I shouldn't take it out on Jeremy. He doesn't deserve it. He's got enough personal problems of his own.

"I can't see for sure where we're both heading, but I think I see some light up ahead. Do you see it" I said suddenly to break this akward silence as we continued to hold hands.

"Um yeah me too." Jeremy said quickly.

Once we gotten a little closer I realized it wasn't light I saw. It was a fire in a fire place. We both huddled around it trying to keep warm. The flames looked so beautiful dancing all around us. But I also keep thinking of the noise I was hearing. Noise that I hope isn't really there...