Breathe

Third POV:

Lively chatter still filled the room beside the kitchen, Espio only hearing few words exchanged due to the children's cartoons filling most of the room. The sound and smell and of boiling soup was oddly therapeutic to the chameleon who calmly chopped the few fresh carrots left in the fridge. For once is the past few days he felt calm and at ease. "Espio?" A soft voice muttered from the doorway to the living room. There stood Silver shakily holding onto the door frame with a weak smile on his face. "Silver, what are you doing up right now?!" Espio fretted, quickly dropping the kitchen knife and rushing over to Silver. Silver held his arm out in front of Espio, laughing silently to himself as Espio stoped in front of him. "I'm fine, Vector suggested that I come help you and stretch a bit, killing two birds with one stone y'know!" Silver chirped, Espio exhaling a small sigh of relief and straightening his back.

"As long as you're not hurting yourself in the process. If you want to help you could wash a couple bowls for us." Espio hummed, keeping a close eye on Silver as he slowly made his way to the sink. Silver removed his gloves, resting them at a far enough distance from the sink so they wouldn't get wet. He turned the faucet and let the lukewarm water run through his fingers, grabbing a blue plastic bowl and sponge and gently scrubbing the bowl. Espio glanced every once in a while at Silver, a small lump slowly forming in the throat as time passed. What was once a calm and peaceful environment gradually turned into a overstimulating and stressful environment.

The running water, the boiling pot, the children's cartoon, Vector and Charmys muffled voices, the knife hitting the cutting board every time he cut off the bit of carrot, the constant worry of Silvers wellbeing. It was all too much. A small bit of pressure began forming on the sides of Espios head. That pressure soon turned into throbbing that was synchronizing with his pounding heart. His breathing pattern became irregular, taking in short and erratic breaths. His hands became shaky, making it hard to line up where he wanted to cut the vegetable. Slowly his vision began shifting, the cutting board, knife and carrot now becoming hazy and blurry images. In fear of accidentally cutting himself Espio dropped the knife, the metal blade clanking against the counter causing him to flinch. He slowly backed up, frantically darting his eyes all over the kitchen only to see a hazy and distorted view of it.

His breathing picked up, from what once was short small erratic breaths was now full on hyperventilation. As he took another step back he immediately felt a scorching sensation press against his tail and back. He grunted and hissed at the burning pain that continued to sting even after he immediately pulled away from the pot that was now shifted on the stove. Small tears burned and threatened to spill out his eyes, sealing his eyes shut his head now throbbing and spinning with pain and confusion.

"Espio, Espio can you hear me?!" A frantic yet soft voice called out to him. The voice was muffled and fuzzy but recognizable enough to make out what was being said to him. Gentle hands grabbed his shaking arms, slowly sliding down to his hands and intertwining their fingers. While Espio refused to open his eyes his breathing ever so slightly softened, the harsh thumping in his head slowly ceasing as well. "It's okay.. just breathe." The voice spoke up again, softly rubbing the back of Espios hand with their thumb.

The soft and gentle tone of their voice calmed Espio down, now finding the courage to slowly open his eyes. "You okay?" Silver mumbled, a pitiful smile tugging at his lips. "I'm.. fine, Silver. Thank you." Espio rasped, coughing immediately after due to all the hyperventilating. With a small sigh Silvers smile widened just a bit more, carefully pulling Espio into a quick hug. "Come on, let's get this soup out to the others." Silver chirped, swiftly sliding out of the hug and collecting the washed bowls. "Oh and you should probably bandage up your tail." Silver pointed out, only now Espio noticing the red splotch on the top of his tail. "Oh, right.." Espio murmured, grabbing the first aid kit out of the so called medicine cabinet and quickly adding some burn ointment and wrapped a bit of bandage on the spot.

*

"Soups done!" Silver beamed, holding two plastic bowls of soup with Espio following close behind with similar bowls. Silver winced a bit while kneeling down to place the bowls on the coffee table, happily laying back down onto the couch once set. "Ey what happen to your tail?" Vector questioned Espio, Charmy whipping his head away from the TV to look at the oddity. "Oh um.." Espio muttered, struggling to find an excuse for the new injury. "I accidentally closed his tail in a cabinet!" Silver exclaimed, glancing at Espio before facing Vector. "Yes, that." Espio quickly added. "Hm.. well you two be careful next time." Vector huffed, Espio silently mouthing the words "thank you" to Silver who responded with a warm smile.