Awaken

Third POV:

Espios eyes peered through the small window on the door to Silvers room, only seeing the very edge of the hospital bed. Vector and Charmy eventually rounded the corner of the hallway to be met with Espio standing still outside the door. Espios throat tightened as his hands began to shake. The feeling was familiar. The kind of hand shaking, head throbbing and ear ringing dread that consumed his mind and body. The same feeling from their last trip in the hospital where it wasn't just Silver who lied those beds. "Oh, is the door locked? A young looking nurse spoke up to the trio huddled outside the door. Espio looked back at the nurse, attempting to turn the doorknob to surprisingly find out it in fact was locked. The nurse, who noticed the chameleons inability to enter the room, happily walked over to the door. She grabbed the end of the lanyard hanging off her neck and flipped through a couple gold and silver keys before grabbing onto a rounded gold key and sticking it into the door lock. With a little struggle to unlock it she opened the door, turning the doorknob and creaking it open just a bit before waving away and continuing to speed walk down the long hallways of the hospital.

Espio slowly opened the door in full. His heart throbbed at the sight of Silver lying motionless in his bed. He had an oxygen masked strapped around his muzzle, IVs taped to his wrists and bandages almost completely covering his body. Beeping machines surrounded him, the sound of the heart beat monitor echoing through the room. "Vector.. what's wrong with Silver?" Charmys lip quivered and his voice cracked as he stared at Silvers limp and bruised figure. Vector looked down at the bee, quickly trying to shuffle him out of the room and avert his eyes away from Silver "He's just a little beat up kiddo. Maybe it's best if you stay out here for a bit." Vector weakly smiled, slowly walking Charmy back out into the hallway. "Es, you good in here alone?" Vector looked back at Espio, his head lowered and hand rested on the railing of the hospital bed. "Of course.." He mumbled out, keeping his eyes fixated on Silver. Vector gently shut the door closed, a small click echoing through the empty room.

Espio fell to his knees beside the hospital bed, letting out a shaky breath as he laid his head against the edge of the thin mattress. He gently held onto one of Silvers fingers, not wanting get in the way of the IV tube attached to his wrist. He let quiet tears flow down his face and onto the tile floor. He missed being with Silver, when he was conscious that is. Now with Silver laying motionless in front of him, with wires and tubes connecting all over his body, he was filled with nothing but guilt and shame. He should have done more, he could have done more, why hadn't he done more. Espio let these thoughts consume him the longer he knelt before Silver. With his thoughts clouding his mind and his tears clouding his vision, he hardly noticed the subtle twitch in Silvers finger. Despite being drowned in his self loathing he did happen to hear the heart monitors beeping pattern quicken. Just before lifting his head, a gentle hand brushed against the top of his head, his soul almost jumping out of his body from the unexpected contact. He snapped his head up to see Silvers barely open yellow eyes staring down at Espio, his hand just barely reaching over to graze him. "Silver.." Espio whispered, bolting upwards and hugging Silver to the best of his ability. "I'm okay Es, I'm okay.." Silver rasped, his voice muffled from the oxygen mask. "I swear to chaos if you ever do that again I'll make it my mission for you to never leave the house." Espio weakly smiled as he cupped Silvers face, tears still rolling down his cheeks. Silver could only lazily hum as he melted into Espios touch, clearly exhausted despite having nothing but slept for the past day and a half. "Where's Vector and Charmy?" Silver mumbled glancing around the room. "There outside the door, would you like me to get them for you?" Espio smiled, rubbing his thumb against Silvers cheek as he adored his awakened face. "..Mmm, maybe in a bit." Silvers words a little sluggish and slow. "Right now I just want you." He smiled, weakly lifting his arms up and flopping them around Espios neck. Silver tried to lean into a kiss, not releasing the barrier the oxygen mask had become before already bumping it against Espios lips. "I'd prefer you keep that on Tenshi, less you'd like to spend more time in this place." Espio smiled, opting to kiss the top of Silvers forehead rather than taking the chance of removing the mask.