Fire

Third POV: (With Espio)

Double checking the file in his hands Espio looked up at the coffee shop in front of him. He sighed, walking up and pulling the door open. A small chime rung, one of the employees looking over to the door. "Welcome, what can I get ya!" She chirped, wiping down the counter with a rag. "I'm not here to order anything-" Espio sat at one of the island chairs. "-I'd like to ask some questions about a missing person. This was her last reported location." Espio turned the portfolio to face the woman, tapping on the photo. "Awe old Veronica, I had no idea she was missing!" The employee held her hand to her chest. Espio grabbed the pen clipped onto the file, clicking the top and sliding out a blank piece of paper. "Can you tell me what she was wearing the last time you saw her?" Espio hummed, tapping the pen against the counter. "Oh, of course, well, she had on black leggings and a green sweater but the sleeve were white..." The employee continued describing the woman. Her clothes, the things she discussed with her and places she would usually go to in her free time. During this, Espio took notes on the important things of their discussion.

About half an hour had passed of Espio interrogating the employee and briefly speaking to the manager about putting up a missing persons poster in front of the establishment. In the midst of his writing his attention was caught when multiple fire trucks speed past the road, their sirens blaring loudly as they passed. The woman at the counter, also noticing this, quickly turned on the radio to listen in on the news station. Espio continued his writing, paying little mind to the disruption. That was, until he heard what the news was saying. "Today, a library in Central City is currently burning down after a electrical fire sparked inside. officials are currently doing their best as to evacuate all citizens currently trapped within and suggest all nearby citizens evacuated their buildings as well." Espios throat began to close up the more he listened, his mind completely numbing from anything work related. He shoved himself out of his seat, not caring enough to grab the file, pen or paper and running out the door. "Wait sir! You forgot your..." The employee tried to call out to Espio but he had already turned the block by the time she walked out.

The farther he ran, the louder the sirens blared, the more his vision clouded with tears and the stronger the smell of smoke filled his lungs. He followed the sound of sirens, watching as the streets became cloudier the closer he got. He made a sharp turn, coming to a quick halt at the sight before him. Charred papers scattered the area, ash and smoke pollution the entire city block. Bright orange, red and yellow flames burst out of the buildings windows, radiating a harsh heat against Espios scales. The air was a dark grey and loud screams and cries mixed with the screeching sirens from the trucks. Espio ran up the stairs, coughing up the ash clouding in his lungs. "ESPIO!" Sonic yanked Espios arm down, Espio whipping his head around to face him. "Sonic?! What happened is everyone alright?!" Espio fretted, his eyes darting from Sonic to Tail. Both Sonic and Tails' fur were covered in ash, large areas almost looking completely gray. "Where's Silver.." Espio looked around, his eyes burning from more than just the fire. "Sonic.. where is Silver." Sonic let go of Espios arm, balling his hands up into fists at his sides. "We lost track of him while we were evacuating people.." Espio felt his heart sink in his chest. He tried to run to the front door, but Sonic grabbed his arms and held him back. "You can't go in there!" He yelled fighting to hold back Espio. Espio shoved him back, Tails helping Sonic stable himself as they watched Espio crash through the charred doors and fade away into the glowing flames. He tried to dodge as many falling shelves and jagged debris as possible, getting some minor scrapes on his arms and legs. "SILVER!" He screamed, coughing from all the smoke he was inhaling. Tears welled up in his eyes which simply added to the blurry mess that was the air. Ash and tears burned his eyes as he continued to scream for the hedgehog, his voice growing raspier the more he yelled. He backed away from the crumbling wood surrounding him, long, sharp torn up shelves threatened him at all angles. In the corner of his eye he spotted a faint cyan glow, contrasting with the bright vibrant flames encasing the area. He followed the light, paying little to no mind of the burns and scrapes that tore his body the more he ran.