Episode 8 - Harper, The Old Builder

~LUKAS P.O.V

Catching up with the women, the sun was starting to set as we ran through the desert, with a bunch of chipped mobs chasing after us. Suddenly, the lady leapt into a hole while Ivor tumbled in instead. "Whoa!" Jesse and I cried in unison, stopping ourselves from falling in.

"A signal would've been nice!" Ivor groaned as he glared at her.

She turned her attention to us. "Gotta tell you, guys. That was some pretty smart work distracting PAMA. Now we just need to get off the grid," she started saying as Jesse and I hopped in to join them. "Get back into hiding... That way we can figure out what to do next,"

"That machine's got my sister and our friend," Jesse stated with a small glare.

"I still might be able to save them. I REALLY need your help," the lady admitted.

I raised an eyebrow. "What kind of help?"

"We need to get to my secret lab," she informed.

"Okay, but we gotta get there fast - those zombies aren't just stronger, they're also faster," I reminded.

"We'll need to split up. You guys head to the lab while I lead these mobs away, got it? I'm gonna use the back route, throw 'em off our trail," the lady told us, standing up.

"Uh, I don't see any secret lab out there. Just desert," Jesse stated.

The lady looks at him with a deadpan expression. "Wouldn't be very SECRET  if you did see it, now would it?" she replied.

"How you didn't get that, I have no idea," I muttered to him, causing Jesse to nudge me in the side.

The lady jumped out of the hole and pointed behind us. "Just start walking that way... And look for the 'big difference.' You'll see it!" she told us before she ran off in the other direction, the zombies and skeletons following after her.

We peeked our heads out so we could watch her run away. "What?" Jesse called, confused.

Once the mobs were gone, the three of us exited the hole and ran in the direction the lady pointed to. "She is... Intriguingly cryptic, isn't she?" Ivor asked.

As we ran, I noticed that part of the landscape ahead of us was blurry. "That's... Weird," I muttered in confusion.

When we got closer, Ivor stumbled and ran... Into it? Jesse and I stopped in time and we realized it was a painting. Ivor stepped back, rubbing his face while looking at the painting properly. "So strange. It's like an exact copy... Or is it?... Seems just a little off," Ivor thought out loud.

Jesse kept looking in between the painting and the landscape behind it. Glancing behind me, I noticed mobs coming coming toward us, but they were still far away. "Well, whatever this 'big difference' you're trying to spot is, please do it quickly, Jesse. Because those mobs are coming back!" I warned.

"Huh. That cactus isn't in the painting..." Jesse mused, turning around and looking over our shoulders, gasping.

Ivor and I looked back and spotted mobs running over to us. Backing away from them, we ran over to the cactus and spotted two hidden trapdoors.

"Time to see what it does," Jesse mumbled, kneeling by the trapdoors.

"Quickly, quickly," Ivor muttered as Jesse opened the trapdoors, revealing a lever.

Jesse flicked the lever up, and a bunch of sand fell into a giant hole, revealing the entrance to the lab. Running over to it, we looked down into the hole below.

"Hope you've got an idea for what comes next?" Ivor asked.

"Working on it!" Jesse mumbled.

Looking back, I spotted the mobs getting closer. Looking back in the hole, I noticed water at the bottom. "I see water! We can aim for that!" I suggested, jumping into the hole while screaming.