007. 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝗧𝗼 𝗣𝗶𝗰𝗸 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗗𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗼𝗻

Here on Berk, we've always done things one way: the Viking Way. Since the dragons came, the Viking Way has become, well, the Hard Way. Unfortunately some people, like my father, still refuse to change.

"It's that rogue dragon again," Gobber sighed as him, dad, and a few other Viking's pulled in a destroyed ship, "That's the second boat this week he's destroyed."

"Well, we lost another whole catch," dad told Hiccup and I, "We could have saved it if we'd gotten there sooner."

"Well, we know how you could have gotten there sooner," Hiccup smiled.

"Here we go again," dad shook his head.

We've pitched this idea to him multiple times, and each one, he's always shot it down, not wanting to 'Give up is roots'.

"If you'd flown there on a dragon, you could have been there in five minutes instead of two hours," I explained, "And you might even have been able to chase that rogue dragon away for good."

"As the chief of Berk, I do things the Viking Way," dad didn't listen, "Not the Dragon Way."

"Well, the Viking way is costing us a lot of fish and almost as many boats," my brother gestured to the destroyed ship.

"The kids have got a point," Gobber agreed, "If you were on a dragon, you could protect this island from a lot of things. Even Alvin."

"Right! You-You could use a dragon to-" Hiccup started; happy someone was finally paying attention.

"You're right Gobber," dad cut him off, "Alvin knows we have dragons. He'll be back."

"You saw what those dragons did. They had Alvin on the run," Gobber looked at Toothless and Comet, "Imagine if you were the one commanding them."

"I'm listening," dad seemed to be very open to the idea when Gobber was describing it.

"But clearly not to us," I murmured.

"I can see it now," Gobber had a proud look on his face, "A proud chief ruling his domain above aboard a fearsome fire-breathing reptile. Ooooh, it gives me goosebumps."

"That's what we've been trying to-" Hiccup tried again but got cut off.

"Gobber's right," dad looked at us, "I need to learn to fly. When do we start the lessons?"

"I don't know, shouldn't we ask Gobber?" I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms.

"Eh, I don't really have a preference," Gobber stroked his chin, "but sooner is always better. Don'tcha think?"

xxx 

Hiccup, Dad, and I stood outside, ready for the first test flight.

"Again, why am I riding Toothless and not Comet? Then you wouldn't have to go through all that trouble with the saddle," dad looked at us.

"Uh," I stuttered, not wanting dad to ride Comet because I didn't want him to...well...crush her, "she has a one-rider limit."

"Alright, I've made a new stirrup, so you'll be able to control Toothless," Hiccup moved the new equipment around.

"You hear that? It's me that's supposed to be controlling you," dad was about to get on Toothless, but Hiccup stopped him.

"Whoa, whoa, Dad, uh," he held out his hands, "before you get on a dragon you've got to show him he can trust you."

"He already trusts me," dad shrugged, "I'm his chief!"

"Uh, it's very simple," I walked over to them, "Just give me your hand."