016. 𝗗𝗲𝗳𝗶𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗢𝗻𝗲

The life of a Viking can be difficult, harsh, and stormy. Nobody could make it through alone. Eventually you're going to have to rely on someone. Unfortunately, we do not always get to pick that someone.

I shielded my face with my hand as the wind started getting a little stronger. We were on a search and rescue mission that Dad had sent us on, and so far, we were coming up empty.

"This is so lame! Why are we even out here?" Snotlout complained, like it wasn't already unpleasant enough.

"Because this is our first dragon search and rescue mission," I explained.

"I see a lot of searching but not much rescuing!" he continued. "Do you even know where we are?"

"Our dad said the fishing boat was last seen heading South," Hiccup told him, and pointed down to the water.

"You don't know what you're talking about," he retorted, "There's nothing down there! I say we go North!"

"And if Hiccup said to go North?" Astrid shot back.

"Are you trying to mess with my mind? Because nothing gets in here! Nothing!" He pointed to his head, and we stared at him for a moment.

"What does our map say, Fishlegs?" I changed the subject, looking back at him.

"Kind of tough to read from this angle," he tried to look it over, but it blew into his face.

"You know what, Hiccup? I'm done listening to you! I said North, and North is where I'm going..." Snotlout tried to steer Hookfang away, but he growled, protesting to the action. "Hey! You work for me!" He finally pulled him in the direction he wanted to go, and they left, flying North.

"Are we just going to let him go?" Ruffnut questioned.

"Works for me," Tuffnut shrugged. He and I weren't officially together yet. Well, we were technically dating, but no one else knew yet. I had a feeling that Astrid suspected it, though. She's been giving us weird looks and things like that. We've been hanging out by ourselves whenever we can, holding hands, kissing, all that corny stuff. We had to be careful, though. Fishlegs almost caught us one time in the Great Hall when it was dark out. We just told him that we were looking for my necklace, and he actually believed us.

After Snotlout left, I looked to the right and saw a smile growing on my brother's face. "Ahem," Astrid cleared her throat, and gave him an annoyed look.

"Ugh. I'm going, I'm going," he groaned, "Iris, lead the others back. We'll get him."

"No way. Astrid can do that," I smirked, shaking my head, "I'm not missing this."

"Fine, suit yourself," he sighed, "Come on, bud." We flew off, following the way he went. As we soared through the air, a rushing noise started getting louder. Soon, we came upon a giant spiral-like shape in the water.

"Wow, look at the size of that waterspout," I marveled, "That waterspout is way too dangerous!"

"That's why I'm flying around it!" Snotlout glanced over his shoulder. "Duh!"

"You're cutting too close!" He warned. "Look out!"

They tried pushing against the strong winds, but it was no use. "Oh, no, no, no, no, no!" They got dragged into the spout, getting flung every which way. We managed to turn the dragons around and attempted to go after him. "AAH! HELP ME! HELP ME, GUYS! AAHH!"

"We're coming!" Hiccup shouted back, and we got as close as we could. He somehow grabbed onto the flailing Viking, but that got us caught in the waterspout as well.