014. 𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗙𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵

Everybody has a past. Even dragons. And sometimes, the past can come back to haunt them.

Hiccup and I woke up for a second because the dragons were growling at something. I didn't care about that right now, though. I just wanted to sleep.

"Ugh, guys, go back to sleep," he groaned, and I shifted in my bed.

XX

The next morning, we walked into the village to see Dad, Gobber, and a few other people looking into a weird hole in the ground. Toothless and Comet pushed forward, obviously agitated by this. They stood on their hind legs, roaring aggressively.

"Whoa, hey! Easy girl, it's fine," I patted her side.

"Come on, it's just a hole, bud," he said as he attempted to calm him down.

They got back on all fours, but still seemed on edge. We looked back into the hole, when a voice came from the bottom. "It's not just a hole! It's like an underground village!"

"Bucket! Oh, there you are," Mulch hurried over, "I've been lookin' for you all night!"

"Sorry, Mulch. But I think I finally found it: My happy place!" As he said this, a low rumbling noise came from the hole, and he was blown out by a large cloud of dust. When he landed, we rushed over to him.

"Are you alright, Bucket?" Dad asked.

"Not so happy anymore," he shook his head, obviously shaken.

"What happened?" Dad pressed.

"Something pushed me out! Something's down there. Something big!" He stammered, standing up.

The noise then came back, and the ground began to shake. Toothless and Comet jumped into the hole, but we didn't have time to question it. "What is that sound?" Astrid questioned.

"Eh, whatever it is, it's giving me the willies," Gobber shivered.

We started backing up, but suddenly, a giant, snake-like dragon launched out of the hole. It had a big, round head, and a long body. There were spines protruding from everywhere on its body. Its wings were small, but they somehow carried its large mass. Its eyes were white with a tint of red, which made it look even more demonic. It had giant, sharp teeth that didn't even fit in it's mouth. It made a loud, shrieking noise that didn't feel like it matched its description.

"Whoa... look at the size of that thing..." Snotlout marveled at the creature.

"Do I have to?" Fishlegs' eyes were wide, and he didn't even dare to glance at it.

"Dragons! Everyone!" Astrid ordered, and they all rushed off. Hiccup and I, however, remained in our place since Toothless and Comet had went into the pit.

I focused my attention on the beast, and its head slightly shifted as it looked from each of the riders. "Uh, I don't like the way it's eyeballing me," Snotlout slowly moved Hookfang back, not wanting to get killed.

"Uh, don't worry, it's not just you," Fishlegs whimpered.

"Thanks, big relief!" he rolled his eyes.

It shrieked again, then dove into the ground. As it went deeper, the sound of its tail hitting the dirt made rocks fly into the air. It then disappeared fully, just a small cloud of dust in its wake.

"What... was... that?" My jaw dropped.

"Whatever it was, I want one!" Tuffnut grinned. I cleared my throat and eyed him. He looked down, rubbing one of Belch's horns.

"If I had to take a guess, I'd say that was a Whispering Death," Fishlegs shuddered.

"Whoa, great name," Tuff awed, now ignoring what I had just done. He covered his dragon's ears, then smirked, "So much better than Zippleback."