A Bit of a Tight Fit

requested by @youfavlesbian
val ☺️ you're insane 😊 (with love)

—————

They'd been driving for hours. At some point, Pip had crawled into the back seat with her pillows and a blanket, and she'd let herself drift to sleep.

Ravi was quite alright with driving for as long as he had been. He knew that Pip didn't exactly like to drive — half the time she was too anxious to even touch the wheel — and he rather enjoyed the peace of watching trees pass as Pip slept.

There was a sort of security in their car. A sort of love in the air. Maybe it was the summer breeze flowing through the windows, barely cracked, or maybe it was just them. Their love was pretty strong, Ravi had realized.

There was a time in the late afternoon when Ravi decided it was time to find a town to stop into for the evening. Get themselves a hotel — not a motel, they freaked Pip out — have dinner, maybe see some sights. Wasn't that the point of a roadtrip? Ravi wasn't quite sure. He hadn't done this before.

As Pip shifted in the backseat, as did the scenery around them. The forest slowly lessened, and for a moment, it felt like there was nothing around them, until the ocean came into view.

Pip would like a beach time for the evening, Ravi thought. When she slowly sat up in the backseat, he turned back for just a second to give her a smile and turned down the music as he did. "Look whose up," he quipped, listening for that soft laugh he knew Pip would give him.

It was quiet, as always. A soft heh, before she stretched, pushed her hair over her shoulder, and crawled back into the front seat.

"Hey," she said softly, legs on the seat as she buckled her seatbelt. "How long was I asleep for?"

"Um, two hours," he told her, glancing at her as she grabbed her travel mug of coffee. "What do you think about spending the night in a beach town?"

"Yes," she said quickly, voice still soft. "I one-hundred-percent support that idea."

"Good," he nodded, turning the music back up and watching as she nodded her head along to the beat.

It was 5:45 when they got settled in their hotel room. They'd left most of their stuff in the car, they'd only be staying one night.

The town was a small one, and their room had a view of the beach, and the air was salty. Pip stood on their balcony, breathing it in as a bird sang somewhere in the distance.

"Can we go down to the beach?" She asked, turning to face Ravi as he sat on the bed and flipped through the channels on the TV.

"We don't have swimsuits,"

"Yeah we do. In the car, I mean."

"Do you expect me to drive more tonight?"

"You don't have to, I can, if you want."

"Pip —"

"No, it's fine, Ravi. It's not a long drive."

He grinned at her, his dimples making Pip's heart flutter, and nodded. "Well, Sarge, if you insist."

She grinned back, running inside to him to press a kiss to his lips before grabbing his hand and pulling him up.

Before she started the car, she took one more breath of the fresh air and buckled her seatbelt.

Somehow, in this little beach town, she felt weightless. It was freeing, and her heart, for once, felt full.

Ravi's hand lingered on her thigh as she drove, keeping a close lookout for anywhere to stop the car to change into their swimsuits.