Vigilante Shit

Draw the cat eye, sharp enough to kill a man

Pip's fists balled at her sides, face stone-cold.

She'd escaped Jason Bell without consequence. Without a man's blood on her hands.

She'd lived, she'd let him live, and she'd kept silent about it. She was a victim: kidnapped, almost murdered, the sixth to be silenced by Jason Bell, but she hadn't done anything about it.

Pip had nearly tasted death for what felt like the hundredth time, but she was being strangely hushed about it. Yes, she'd told Ravi, but she made him swear to silence. He was always by her side, now; they were attached at the hip.

Though the threats and the stalking had stopped, there was still a serial killer walking free through the streets of Fairview, and because of that, Pip wore a glare like it was her favorite necklace.

But tonight, the Bells were hosting a party — a reconciliation gathering to honor Dawn and Jason's back-togetherness — and to the Fitz-Amobi's honest surprise, their family was invited.

And there was no way in hell Pip would be missing it.

So, here Pip stood in the bathroom, watching her reflection regulate her breathing in a sparkly little black dress, Ravi waiting just on the other side of the door.

When she finally felt calm enough to relax her shoulders, she let Ravi slip through the door in his white button down, sleeves rolled up a quarter of the way, hair just messy enough to be presentable.

"You'll be okay," he whispered, leaning in close, her back against his chest.

And though the hair on the back of her neck stood up at their closeness, she didn't believe a word he said.

Without answering him, she shifted her attention back to the task at hand: the finishing touches to the smoky cat-eye she'd put on.

It was a simple party, but Pip wasn't dressed for simple.

Pippa Fitz-Amobi was dressed for revenge.

You did some bad things, but I'm the worst of them

After a hasty make-out sesh in the bathroom — Pip on the counter, Ravi's hands wildly mapping Pip's body — they took each others hands, squeezing their pattern of long-short-long.

Pip grabbed her bag, Ravi his jacket, and they found their fingers locked together again as they hurried down the stairs, calling a quick we'll see you there to Pip's parents as they rushed out the front door.

Pip's rage was slowly building, inching its way through her body, spreading through her veins like never-ending wildfire through never-ending forests.

Halfway through their drive, silent other than the buzzing in Pip's mind, she whispered, "God, I should've fucking smashed his head in when I had the chance."

Ravi kept his eyes on the road — Pip's wildfire anger had spread through to Ravi and if he didn't focus on driving, he might just end up crashing.

Despite his silence, he reached over to her, hand finding her thigh, squeezing once. She huffed in response, crossing her arms and watching the town blur past.