Delectable healing

Author's POV

"Hey be careful Bondu" Pawan forwarded his hand to help her pick up the bowl.

"Ei....thak....I'll pick it up" Bondita bent down gathering herself in mind lowering her eyes getting embarrassed after dropping the bowl.

"Whattttt.......engagement!!!" Beni jumped at his place in delight careless of his mud bowl bouncing the dessert out from his tight grasp.

Gopal - Ei Beni, hold on. What are you guys doing? Can't even hold your bowls properly!! Don't spoil this wholesome party by wasting this divine dessert.

"I just can't control my laugh" Beni remarked giggling.

Pawan - How should I accept your laugh as Beni? Is it out of happiness or....

"Out of surprise Pawan" Beni replied.

Madhav - But why so surprised Beni? My brother got engaged with my boudi when he was a year younger than Pawan. He got married last year soon after his admission at Calcutta college.

Bondita (breathing heavily after throwing the broken bowl in the dustbin) - But, Madhav that's not something to be proud of. My pati babu is working hard on educating people against this evil custom of marrying children early. I met Pawan's sister in the market one day, she is a student at Bethune Collegiate. Therefore, Pawan comes from a well-to-do family with progressive views. As far as I have heard from him, I never felt his parents are Orthodox and would marry him off when he is in school himself.

Beni- That's right Bondu. I am also surprised at this news Madhav.
I have spoken to Satyendra Kaka twice or thrice. He is a modern educated man. He didn't appear to me like my ma baba who strongly believe in child marriage custom. Pawan, us.Why do you wish to undertake responsibility of a girl when you should study, play and roam around with us? It's time for you to enjoy life with your friends buddy.

Pawan - Relax friends. First of all, yes You both are right my father is a contemporary man against this ill- social custom. But my Ma is a reserved housewife like other kaakis we know here. Bondu, my Didima (naani) and my Ma insisted to marry off my sister when she was 6, much younger than you were at the time of your marriage. My father is the regional accounting manager under Anusuiya's father, the Tehsildar of Chinsurah district. Both are at great chords since long years. So her father had seen me last month when I went to Calcutta to stay with my sister and he offered his daughter's hand for me to my father later on.

Bondita - Oh!! I see. So was this the reason you were absent at school last month for a week or so?

Beni (teasing) - I thought you were ill so you were not attending classes.

Madhav (frowning in a teasing tone) - Oh come on Beni!! You both are so naive. These are secrets not to be revealed to anybody without surprise treats.

Bondita (in an irritated tone) - But Madhav, we are not his anybody!! We are his best friends. Why hide secrets from us then? Pawan, had you told me before, would I prevent you from going to meet your potential bride or what? Why lie to us with such lame excuses of bad health?

Pawan - Relax Bondu!! Why are getting angry? I did not lie. I was actually suffering from a high fever since I returned here. The weather over there didn't suit me, and I had no idea of my nuptial alliance being fixed at Calcutta itself. I got busy with my academics soon after I recovered and my father didn't reveal this information to me untill yesterday night when I over heard my ma discussing about it with baba in their room.

Bondita (folding her arms, scrunching up her eyebrows) - Overhearing our elders talking amongst themselves is called bad manners.

Gopal - Dearest Bondu! Would that however make any difference to the fact even if he not overheard his parents discussing of his marriage?