iii

"Hey mom. Who's our neighbor?" I asked her, opening our front door.
   She walked into the entry with a confused look on her face.
   "Our neighbor? The one across the street?" I nodded. "They're the Bryclees."
"They're?" I inquired.
"Yeah. Winona has a son, he's your age." She shrugged with her eyebrows drawn together. "Shut the door, you're letting the cold air out." She said, yet still pulled her robe around her. I closed the door then followed her into the kitchen where we hovered over our island counter.
"How come no one's told me about them?" I asked, slightly upset over the new information.
My mother pressed her lips together, biting her bottom one slightly.
"You know how you got into an accident as a kid and were in a coma for awhile?" She asked, taking my hand in hers.
"Yeah but what does that have to do with anything?" I was so confused. Nothing was making sense anymore.
"Well you ended up with a brain injury during all of it and your medial temporal lobe was I guess messed with or something during the injury. I don't really understand all of that doctor talk."
"You watch Grey's Anatomy more than anyone, Mom." I chuckled, slightly feeling my anxiety coming back.
"Yeah, I probably should but hey, I'm in it for the drama, not the medical shenanigans." We laughed a little together before she continued.
"Your memory about a lot of stuff went away, kiddo." My mom looked me in the eyes, watching my face for any signs of emotion.
"So, I used to know them? Our neighbors?" I asked, confused.
"Yeah. You and Winona's son were inseparable, you two used to do everything together."
"So why don't I remember them? Or I guess know them?" I asked, confused.
"They kinda kept to themselves after the injury. Everyone was devastated, honey."
"Okay."
"Okay? You're taking this really well. Are you sure you're alright?"
"Why did you keep all of this from me?" I asked, looking up at my aging mother. She sighed and shook her head.
"We didn't. We told you everything as we should've. And this is just our neighbors. They were dealing with stuff of their own and just couldn't come around I guess. It's no one's fault. But kiddo, we had to start nearly all over with you."
"Is this why I can't ride a bike?" I whispered to her, trying to ease up the mood. She laughed and shook her head again.
"No. That's just because you're clumsy and never managed." My mom said, still laughing a little. I calmed down, seeing her smile and continued listening to anything she said.
"Are you sure you're okay with all of this?" She asked.
I nodded and smiled a little before leaving the kitchen, claiming I was going to shower. I ended up calling Dax to tell him I made it home safely. Honestly, I would've messaged him but I needed to hear his voice and to calm down from everything from today.