Christen Press - Heart Problems

Created Character- Camryn Press
Relation to soccer star- daughter
Created character age- 15
Word count- 2838

Camryn

Today was my first playoff game with the Royals. I had been with them all season and now that it was coming to an end, we made the last 6 due to our points.

"Ready?" Mom asked with a smile, just as I finished taking my medication.

I was born with some heart problems that I have to take medication for. I just recently got a higher dose which concerned Mom, but in the end I'm feeling better than ever.

I just have to take some before every game I play, so my heart rate doesn't raise too high. This goes for every physical activity, it's just mainly my games I have to worry about.

"Yup." I smiled back, joining her in the tunnel to exit to the field.

We eventually walked out, and the child whose hand I was holding was no joke up to my chin. I'm not even short too, she was just super tall.

Finally, it was time for kickoff.

Today we're playing Portland Thorns, and it should be exciting considering Tobin, Lindsey, and Sonnett are on the team. And the fact that we also have a rivalry going on here.

I was surprisingly starting next to my mom as the striker while, she was the wing.

No surprise, Tobin was also starting as the wing for her own team.

Her and my mom were talking until the ref blew the whistle, signaling to start the game.

We immediately put pressure on the team after Portland's striker sent the ball back to Lindsey, an attacking midfielder.

Nothing much happened in the game until I stole the ball from Sonnett, sending our home crowd into a roar.

I brought the ball up, dribbling past the defense as our forwards were still trying to catch up to my insane speed that is ridiculously hard to beat.

As I came on a 1v1 with the goalie, I noticed I was still all alone.

By now my chest was starting to squeeze a little bit from all this sprinting.

I ignored it and focused on my situation, thinking it had something to do with my heart condition.

Before I shot the ball, I had to fake out the keeper with a quick elastico, making sure my shot went in.

When it hit the back of the net with a satisfying touch, the crowd went wild.

It was the 37th minute when my mom ran up to me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

She yelled to our teammates as she continued to squeeze me, "THATS MY DAUGHTER! SHE'S MINE!"

I laughed as our other teammates caught up and started congratulating me.

Despite the crowd's enthusiasm and our own team's excitement, Mom still noticed something going on with me.

"Calm your breathing down. Even it out." She whispered in my ear, showing me 'how to do it' by inhaling and exhaling with me.

My breathing was started to get more patchy, and I was starting to feel my breaths getting shorter and shorter by the minute.

Once again, I dismissed it, thinking I was just getting tired.

I brought my breaths back to normal speed for my mom's sake, but having it turn back to normal right as she stopped paying attention.

It felt so much better to have it slow, it was easy and didn't take as much energy out of me.