CHAPTER 12 || PART: 2

"Is it hurting again?" Jason asked, and for the first time, Devland heard genuine concern in his voice.

"Yeah..." Charlie's weary voice replied and Devland could picture the boy sitting with his shoulders sagging. "It's been aching for days."

"Then we should get on with it." Todd insisted, "It's been hurting like shit for me too. We're delaying things."

"We don't know if it's working or not." Mitchel countered, "We have to tread carefully."

Akira gave Devland a confused expression and mouthed the word 'Drugs?'

Devland gave him a deadpan stare.

"Shouldn't we be careful of Beckett?" Roy asked, "I don't know why but he gives me the creeps."

"No." Todd's voice was firm, "Leave him out of this, he just lost his brother for fuck's sake."

"I agree. God it just makes me feel so guilty whenever I see him." Charlie's voice trembled, "Knowing that it's our fault."

The group went silent, the stillness only interrupted by the roar of the crowds from the bleachers. The match was about to start. The Elites muttered something that Devland couldn't quite catch and finally exited the room.

"Well that was fucking confusing." Akira concluded.

Devland was silent, his mind going at 80km/h:

' 'It'? What do they mean by 'it'? What were they delaying? Did Charlie have an injury? Why should they be wary of me? Could they be the thieves that stole the chemistry equipment? But that would mean they killed Mr. Rogers and his whole family. They can't possibly be serial killers, can they? They're not that crazy—Its so hot here, what the fuck. I swear if I see Max when I eventually go to hell, I'll strangle him for all the bullshit he's putting me through.'

"Dev?" Akira gently guided Devland out of the locker room, making sure that they weren't seen, "You okay?"

"I'm fine. I feel excited to be honest." Devland grinned maniacally, "We'll finally get some answers tonight.

***

Devland and Akira arrived at the party a little late, considering they had to figure out where exactly Charlie's house was since they took the bus [Devland hadn't applied for the driver's test yet, what with everything that was going on]. The boy had messaged Devland, sending him his location, but it was dark so all streets looked the same to Devland.

"We're finally here." Akira sighed in relief as they stood in front of the front door. It was quite a large house, with blue walls and huge windows. There was a garage to their right and a little tire swing hanging from the huge tree near the house. It looked old and battered under the light.

"Fucking finally." Devland grumbled as he took off his coat. He was wearing a sleeveless black turtleneck underneath that reached below his chest, leaving some of his midriff exposed. He had even done some light make-up on his face—just because he could, and put concealer on his arms—just because he felt like he should. Devland felt Akira's gaze on him and bit back a smirk; he decided to play dumb. "What?"

"You look—" Akira was struggling to find the right words, "—comfortable??"

"Uh—thanks?" Devland nodded at the compliment. Not what I expected to hear from him, but I'll take it.

They walked in and instantly, the aroma of sweat and alcohol hit them. Akira openly gagged while Devland cracked his knuckles, preparing himself for the next phase of the plan. "We split up?"