CHAPTER 14 || PART: 2

"Wait–hold up–look." Devland pointed towards the roof of the tunnel. The symbol was painted on it, actually, it covered the curved ceiling. Most of them were black but some looked like dried blood.

"Is that—"

"No, it's jam." Devland deadpanned sarcastically even though he was internally panicking. Why would the Elites come here? "Of course it's blood."

"A–are you sure it can't be red paint?"

"Why would anyone come to this rather discreet location to apply graffiti on the walls? We have subway stations for that. No–this place is more suitable for murder." Devland was rambling now, "This is an awesome place to possibly kidnap someone and torture them. I'm pretty sure you can't find this place unless you had an exact position—lucky us, I guess—and the symbols on the walls indicate that this is a place for cult meetings, which also means cult sacrifices. So is it really surprising to see the dried blood on the walls?"

"I mean, thanks to your little speech that annoyingly makes sense, it's not I guess."

They passed the place and Devland saw the water getting shallower as they moved along. Finally, Akira put him down and Devland immediately took off; inspecting the walls and looking at the curious footprints on the ground.

"So the Elites are in a cult?" Akira exhaled, his voice shaky, "They killed Mr. Rogers and his entire family?"

"I–" Devland didn't want to admit it. All this time, he had thought that they were just a gang of spoiled kids, but the idea of them being potential serial killers wasn't a good one. He couldn't think of all the ways he had pissed them off. "We have to keep moving."

They were silent during their walk—which was a short one—and finally, the path they took widened into a huge cavern.

Devland whistled appreciatively as he stared at the ceiling; moonlight poured in from the open roof, illuminating an altar. There were other things too; candles and knives and ropes. All things beneficial for a murder.

He walked forward and inspected a bottle containing a liquid, it was wrapped tightly with the warning 'DON'T OPEN THIS SHIT.' written on the bottle.

"Dev?" Akira's small voice called as he stood in front of the altar. Devland approached the dias, not daring to run over the blackened stone dried with blood. The shackles laid on top of it, glistening innocently in the moonlight.

"Well, there's definitely a cult here." Devland chuckled humorlessly—God he was terrible in a serious situation—and looked at Akira, feeling bile rise up in his throat. "We—We need to gather evidence."

Akira was silent for a while, his chest heaving before he looked at Devland and forced himself to take a rattled breath. "Okay."

They both set out. Devland took one side, observing the knife and he took off his shirt, wrapping his arm in it before picking it up and putting it inside his bag. Devland immediately put his shirt back on before Akira could see.

He then checked the other stuff; some discarded candy wrappers and food covers. He decided to go for the thick black book and slipped it inside his bag.

'So the Elites are in a cult. That's great—that's fucking great.' Devland thought to himself, 'Akira figured it out. So they're the thieves of the school, they also killed Mr. Rogers' whole family; His twelve year old son, his five year old daughter and his wife. How–how could they do that? What are they possibly gaining from all the murder? What—wait. What did that bitch say again? 'How I wish they sacrificed you instead?' So they were indeed sacrificed. Was that why Max told me not to trust them? So he knew I would find out about this? He knew about the cult? Why—why didn't he call the police? Why—'

'You know why.' The rational, logical part of him countered, 'There's only one answer to that, and you're too scared to admit it.'

"I won't forgive you." it had said, "I won't forgive your kin for what he did to me."

'Was that why it was haunting me? The devil—' He inhaled sharply, 'The devil they summoned... that's what has been haunting me—it's punishing me for something Max did. Goddammit brother.' Devland suddenly felt overwhelmed, tears stinging his eyes, 'Why did you leave me to clean up your mess?'

"Dev?" Akira's voice cut through his trance. "You okay?"

"It's punishing me, Akira." Devland's voice was hollow, "It's punishing me for what Max did."

"What...did your brother do?"

"I don't know, it must be something bad to make the devil hunt me down and torture me." Devland trembled as he watched Akira connect the dots, his eyes widening.

"Shit—" Akira clutched his head in his arms, "I—I can't take this anymore, Devland please please can we leave?"

Devland realised just how terrified Akira was, rightfully so. He immediately got his shit together and nodded. He had to be strong, he can't afford to let his emotions get the best of him right now.

"You'll carry me, won't you?" Devland tried for a smile, though it felt more like a grimace.

"You should eat more." Was Akira's only comment as he walked out eagerly, Devland at his heels.

"I'll... try..." Devland trailed off, looking down at his stomach in disappointment, "I love your mom's cooking."

"Then come over to my house everyday."

"Hmmm... might as well live there then." Devland joked, ignoring the anxiety and the panic inside of him. He was jittery all over, his hands trembling more than usual.

He let himself be carried by Akira through the muddy waters, not wanting to know what lurked in its darkness. He simply talked, on and on about how amazing Akira's mother's cooking was, and that somehow made the terrifying situation a little less creepy.