Chapter 2 ~ captivated ~

That afternoon Dean sat in his office staring blankly at his computer screen, he couldn't focus on work, all he could think of was the man called Nate. He remembered how the brash young man had approached him and accused him of cheating.

Dean laughed out loud causing his secretary to lift her head and look through the glass wall curiously. He had sat for a while watching the man until he had gone to purchase two more coffees and had asked him out for dinner.

Nate had refused and Dean had said he would ask again but if he was being honest he could understand Nate's reluctance. When he had seen the photograph of Nate's friend Hayden, the resemblance was indeed uncanny.

It stood to reason that Nate would feel weird about going on a date with someone who looked like his best friend but Dean had to try. It would be a cruel twist of fate if he couldn't get the man to see him again because of his looks.

There was no denying that he was handsome, so many women and even men had let their interest be known over the years so it was ironic that those very looks which attracted so many others couldn't attract the one person who had caught his own interest in a very long time.

He reached up to touch his brow, if it hadn't been for the scar he would have had a hard time proving to Nate that he wasn't Hayden, he could feel the puckered skin beneath the short hairs. 

When he had been young and foolish he'd had his eyebrow pierced to get back at his father but the joke was on him when he'd been clubbing one night and got into a fight with another boy over some girl.

They had fought hard and after the other boy had gained the upper hand he had ripped the piercing out of his brow, he could still feel the pain as if it was yesterday. His friend had taken him to hospital where they had stitched up the wound before the police arrived to question him.

His father had been contacted and when he'd arrived at the hospital he had looked down at Dean in disdain. After that, Dean had knuckled down at university, kept his nose clean and passed all his exams with flying colours but it still wasn't enough to gain his fathers favor.

His father was an irish/american businessman, Finian Gaynor, the person from whom he had inherited his strong handsome features but he had been blessed with his thai mothers dark colouring as opposed to his fathers fiery copper hair.

Dean's full name was Dean Aodhán Gaynor but he'd chosen to simplify the gaelic Aodhán to Jay, another reason why his father had resented him but it didn't matter anymore because the old man was dead.

Dean had taken over the company and continued to care for his mother and sister whose lives were much more peaceful since his father had passed away. He sometimes wished that his father could have seen him taking care of the company but knowing what he was like it wouldn't have made any difference.

No matter what he achieved it would never have been enough for his father. Towards the end of his life he had spent more time in the New York office where he and his mother and sister had chosen to stay in Thailand.

People knew what the old man was like so no one had ever judged them or if they had, they'd never voiced their opinions to his face, the truth was, his father was a bastard and almost everyone knew it.

Coming back to the present Dean stared at his screen once more, still no work done. Deciding he was wasting his time being here today had called his secretary on the intercom,

"do I have any meetings this afternoon Tira?"

"no sir, nothing until tomorrow after lunch" she replied.

"ok, I'm taking off for today, call me if you need me" Dean said.

"yes sir" Tira said before continuing with her work.