Chapter 5 ~ mirror image ~

Dean kept his arm around Nate's shoulders as they walked to his car much to Nate's chagrin then he unlocked the car and opened the passenger door for Nate,

"why are you doing this?" Nate asked.

"well you can't get in the car unless I open the door for you" Dean smiled.

"you know what I damn well mean, look I said I was sorry the other day in my coffee shop so you can just stop" Nate shouted at Dean.

"stop what?"

"acting as if you fell madly in love with me, just stop" Nate said.

"and how do you know I haven't" Dean asked.

"don't make me laugh, look, you pretended to be my boyfriend to stop Sebastian harassing me and for that I am eternally grateful but now I'm going home" Nate said turning to leave.

"just get in the car Nate" Dean said grabbing Nate's wrist.

"no, let's just stop right now"

"I only want to give you a ride home, why the hostility?" Dean asked.

"look, we didn't exactly start off on the right foot but I apologised and I assumed you had accepted my apology then I see you in the VIP area of a club, I see the people you associate with, you're obviously wealthy and I suspect bored, well I'm not going to be your live entertainment" Nate said.

"wow, I guess that told me, so I'm guilty by association and bank balance?" Dean replied.

"just pretend we never met, problem solved"

"I can't do that Nate in fact I refuse to do that, at least give me the chance to prove to you that I'm not playing games with you" Dean said.

"even if I agreed, we can't be together Dean, for fear of repeating myself, you look like my best friend"

"so?"

"if I admitted an attraction to you, what would it say about me? have I been unconsciously attracted to my best friend all these years? what impact would that have on me, him, you, my other friends? what about his husband? this wouldn't be just about the two of us, there are others who could be hurt by us dating" 

"what utter rubbish, so what if Hayden was a twin? as my dear old grandmammy used to say, don't be breaking your shin on a stool that's not in your way"

"what the heck are you saying?"

"don't go borrowing trouble Nate, that's what it means"

"I'm not, please, let go of me Dean" Nate begged the other man.

"fine, I'll let you go but this isn't over Nate"

"yes, it is" Nate replied pulling his wrist out of Dean's grasp and began to walk away.

Dean watched Nate walk across the car park and out of the hotel grounds, 'no it's not over Nate, not until you say yes' Dean thought to himself as he decided to take the matter into his own hands.

He climbed behind the wheel and drove back home then after making a coffee he walked into his office to search for information on Nate's friend Hayden.

The guy was married to the heir of Gold Corporations so his surname was Gold so after searching for Hayden Gold he found a few images of the two of them together at charity functions and other social gatherings.

After researching for a while, Dean found out that Hayden was a cop at the DSI and his husband Dominic was his superior so tomorrow morning his first stop would be the DSI offices.