chapter 6

Emily's POV
I stare at the card that Prez is holding out for me to take. "Come on Emily, take a chance" prez says and i look up at him thinking if i really should get involved with someone like prez. I nod and reach for the card taking it. Prez nods and says "okay just text or call when you need me to come get you and Sara". I nod looking at him trying to figure out if this is a good idea. "Okay". Prez  nods once more and walks out of the shop and not but two seconds later does Sam walk up to the front looking at the door. "Was Prez just here" Sam asks? "Yeah I left Sara's bag in his truck so he came back to give it to me". "Oh well that was nice of him to do, what was the piece of paper that he gave you" Sam asks? "It was his phone number so I can let him know when Sara and I are going home". "You should give him a chance, he would be good to you and sara" Sam says. "Maybe one day when I don't have to fear". "If you were with Prez you wouldn't have to fear Prez would protect you and Sara from any danger" Sam says. "I don't know if i'm ready to trust someone like that again". "So take it slow, all i'm saying is give yourself a chance to be happy and not look over your's and Sara's shoulders" Sam says. "I will think about it okay sam"? "Okay, here I'll take that to Sara so she has something to do while you work" Sam says. I nod and hand him Sara's bag. Sam takes the bag and walks to the back where Sara is waiting for her stuff. My shift goes through until about thirty minutes before I get off and I take the note card out of my pocket and look at it. Can I trust this, I mean I don't even know him that well. He is so sweet though, and he seems to like kids. Maybe I could give it a chance, and if David found us Prez would be able to protect me and Sara. Would I even be able to trust another man in that way? Could I even be with someone like that without showing my scars from the past? Okay I'll do it, I'll take a chance. With my mind made up I sent Prez a text telling him that i get off of work in thirty minutes. After a minute or two I get a text from Prez "Okay sweetness I'll be there". I roll my eyes and text back "okay chris" laughing knowing that i am probably pushing his buttons. I get a text right back "how did you figure out my real name". I laugh as i respond "oh a little birdy told me". I get a text back "who"? "Who do you think?" I respond smiling down at my phone waiting for Chris's reply. "Fucking sam" Chris replies and i giggle down being able to imagine him actually saying that. "Ding ding we have a winner". "Who you texting?" Sam says with a smirk on his face. "Just prez to let him know when i get off". "Mmhmm sure" Sam says and Sara walks out of the backroom and to me. "Mommy can we go home now" Sara asks? "Chris will be here soon to take us home ok sweet pea"? "Okay but momma can chris be my dad". I stand there shocked "what, why would you ask that sweet pea"? "Because he's a good guy and he likes you" Sara says and I look at Sam with a look that says you did this. Sam puts up his hands "hey i didn't do anything".  "We will see okay sweet pea"? "Ok momma" Sara says and comes around me to sit in the seat behind the counter. I look down at my phone and see that prez texted back "well remind me to have a little chat with sam". "It's not his fault Sara wanted something other than Prez as a name for you" I reply to his text and wait for his reply. A few minutes go by and we hear a truck pull in and then Prez walks in holding up his phone and I try my hardest not to laugh. "Sam you rat on me" Prez says suddenly looking serious and i stand to where i'm infront of Sara. "relax prez it was just to a kid" Sam says "i don't care sam anyone could have heard that" Prez says. "Ok ok man look im sorry" Sam says and prez suddenly starts laughing and i sign. "Na Sam i'm just playing with ya i know you'd never rat me out to anyone that could be a danger" Prez says and sam roll his eyes and i step to the side. "Sara go get your bag"? "Okay momma" Sara says and gets down from the chair skipping to the back room to get her bag. "So you took a chance" prez says looking at me as sam walks off following behind Sara. "yeah decided it wouldn't be that bad to take a little step". "You can take as many steps as you want sweetness," Prez says and I blush. "Maybe we should get to know each other before taking any big steps"? "I think that's a good idea" Prez says and Sara comes running out of the back room. "You ready to go little one" Prez asks Sara? "Yes sir i sure am, are you momma" Sara asks looking at me? "Yup " I say and grab my things and take Sara's hand as Sara, Prez and I make our way out of the store and to his truck. Prez opened the passenger door for me and Sara and we slid in waiting for him to get into the driver's seat. Prez gets in and starts the truck as I place Sara on the seat in between us and buckle us both up.