Chapter 12

Emily’s POV

“Come on sweet pea, let's get you ready”. “Where are we going” Sara asks? “We’re going with Chris”. Sara nods and I stand and walk to Sara’s room setting out Sara’s clothes. Sara comes into the room and closes the door. “Come on sweet pea let’s get you dressed”. I give Sara her purple shirt that has butterflies on it. Sara puts it on and I help her get on a gray skirt with gray leggings that go to her knee. I put on her sandals and we go out to the living room waiting for Chris to come out of his bedroom. Chris comes out of his bedroom a few minutes later and walks up to Sara and I. “y’all ready to go” Chris asks. “I think we are, I just have to get my shoes”. “Okay we’ll wait right here for you” Chris says. “Okay I’ll be right back” I say and walk to the bedroom grabbing my shoes. I put on my shoes and go back out to the living room where I hear Chris and Sara talking. “Do you like my mommy?” Sara asks as she plays with the end of her skirt. “Yes I like her,” Chris says. “Is that why we’re here” Sara asks? “A little bit I just want to make sure you and your mommy are safe” Chris asks? “Are you talking about her screams in the night?” Sara asks. Okay that's enough of that conversation. I step out of the room before Chris can respond. “Hey y’all ready to go”? “Sure, baby girl let's go” Chris says and stands from the couch. “You ready to go sweet pea” I ask, walking over to her. “Yes mommy,” Sara says and comes over to me. “Okay well lets go i have to help set up” chris says coming to me and putting his hand on my hip guiding me and sara out to his truck. Chris helps Sara up into the truck and I buckle her in as I climb in. Chris shuts the door behind me and goes to the other side climbing in and starting the truck. “You got everything”
Chris asks? “Yup, we're all ready”. “Does Sara have her bag so she doesn’t get bored” Chris asks? “Yes I have her bag”. “I’m just making sure” Chris says and pulls away from his house going down the little gravel road. We drive for about twenty minutes until we pull up to a big compound with a gate in front. “Chris, where are we”? “We’re at our clubhouse,” Chris says. “What do you mean I thought that was back on the other side of town”? “Relax baby this is our actual clubhouse, the one in town is our bar and gym” Chris says. “Are we safe here”? “This is the safest place the club owns. The only ones that know it is here are club members and their old lady’s” Chris says and pulls up to the gate. A man in a kutt walks up to the truck “prez didn’t expect you till later” the man says. “It’s alright bullet this isn’t on you, remember church in an hour” Chris says and bullet nods. Bullet throws his hand up and the gate opens. Chris drives through the gate parking in the first spot. “Mommy where are we” Sara asks? “We’re at a place that Chris knows”. “Come on little one i have a table with coloring books and puzzles on it” Chris says. “Yayyy” Sara says unbuckling herself. Chris smiles and opens his door stepping out and then helping Sara out gently placing her on her feet. Chris comes over to my side and opens my door. “I have her bag you didn’t have to set up anything”. “I had Bullet's old lady set up a little something because I was hoping you could help me help set up” Chris asks? I roll my eyes “sure i’ll help”. “Thank you baby girl, come on let’s get inside” Chris says looking around. Sara, Chris and I walk into the clubhouse. As we walk in we hear a guy shout “prez is that you i kinda need some help moving this damn table”. That voice sounds familiar. “Prez” a guy says and walks out from the back. “Emmy is that you” my cousin Justin says. “Justin”?  I run to him hugging him and then pull away “last time I saw you, you were going into the marines, what are you doing here”? “Yeah I went in for four years and when I came out I found the club me and bullet served together” Justin says. “Mommy who is that?” Sara asks, hiding behind Chris' legs. “It’s ok sweet pea this is my cousin he’s family”. Justin looks at Sara and then up at chris. “You have a kid Emmy” Justin asks? “Yeah umm it's complicated, David wasn’t who anyone thought”. “Well you’re here now and that’s what matters” Justin says. I turn “Sara would you like to meet a part of our family”? Sara pops her head out behind Chris's legs and nods. I hold out my hand for her and Chris nudges her towards me gently with his leg. “Do you know him?” Sara asks, looking up at chris. “Yes little one i do it’s ok” Chris says. I feel a ping in my heart that my daughter might not trust me to bring people into her life. Sara walks to me and takes my hand. “Sara this is my cousin Justin, Justin this is my daughter Sara”. Justin gets on Sara's level and says “Hi sara it’s nice to meet you, I’m sorry that we haven’t gotten to meet in the past ''. “It's nice to meet you too,” Sara says and I smile. “Let me guess you love coloring and puzzles” Justin says. “How’d you know” Sara asks? “Because your mother was the same way, would you like to see the table we have set up” Justin asks? “Yes please” Sara says and Justin holds out his hand. Sara looks to me and I nod as Sara takes Justin's hand and he takes her to a table that Chris had set up for her.