VI. why is it all so familiar?

song: perfect blues - hannah bahng

jisung

so, it turned out that the girl attended the same school as me. i was pleasantly surprised.

"what? no i-...i'll just get going bye!"

the familiar girl fumbled to answer seungmin's jocular question. she hurriedly hastened to the bookshelves to keep back her book and barely bowed to the librarian before exiting the quiet room. i didn't realize that she hated me so much, after all, she only met me for half an hour.

"well, that was weird, moving on" seungmin was a little bit confused no doubt, but chose not to question her odd behaviour. 

the rest of the break went by with seungmin failing to tutor me in the current mathematical topic we were learning. i was even more eager now, to meet the girl after school.

....

i stuffed my books in my bag and rushed out of class the moment the teacher dismissed us. i didn't bother waiting for my friends because then i would have to make excuses to see her. i promised her, that i would come back again. i had to.

after somehow managing to avoid the football team at the exit, i ran to the alley place. it was unusual how i paid no attention to it for years, and only noticed it yesterday. i saw the girl relaxed, in the same seat she was in the last time, petting nuri. how did she get here so fast?

"hi..i, um said i would meet you again today, well here i am" the moment she noticed me, she went stiff, which was disappointing to see after her previously relaxed state. nuri went into the shed from the open entrance where she was a few seconds ago.

"oh, i didn't think you would actually keep your word. especially after today" she mumbled the last bit. her expression of speech was quite formal in comparison to the last time we spoke.

"so, why did you react that way today, i mean in the library?" i was curious to know the reason behind her actions. i needed to know why she felt so insecure.

"i thought it was weird, seeing you in school right after you accidentally met me yesterday, i didn't know how to feel" it seemed that she purposefully toned her voice to be soft. "so, i never caught your name?" she questioningly looked at me. 

"yeah, my name's jisung, what about you?" i hated the formality of our dry conversation, especially compared to yesterday, even though i did most of the talking then.

"hmm...this conversation is really boring" she said, with a glint in her eye. "what do you mean?" i was confused at the out of context statement. 

"i mean, just yesterday, you were going on about the way of the human mind, how did we go from that to this?" she chuckled, finishing the, what i assumed to be, rhetorical question. i looked at her with a comically scared expression on my face. "you're reading my mind...is this witchcraft?"

her small laugh filled the space in the air. my humour had triumphed over uncomfortable conversations yet again. "speaking of yesterday's conversation, your words were quite..." she paused as if she was unsure how describe the subject at hand. 

"poetic. your words were poetic," she declared, with a triumphant, proud look on her face. it was adorable how she celebrated such a small thing. "are you into writing or art, by any chance? because i think that poetic ability is absolute talent." she had hints of curiosity on her face.

"yeah, i actually write songs" as i made that statement, shock and excitement lit up her face. "i write too! songs, i mean" in her rush of enthusiasm, she fumbled to take something out of her bag. once she got it out and held it in her hands, i realized that it was the empty notebook that she had yesterday.

"i come out here for inspiration, but since yesterday, i just can't seem to think of anything, the same empty feeling is back" her words were becoming all too relatable. the empty feeling i've been experiencing for the past month? not just when i'm writing too.

" i'm sure you'll get over it" my hand made an automatic move to pat her back in reassurance, like i did with my other friends, but i caught myself in time. i don't think she noticed.