VIII. who is to blame, but myself?

song: cradles-sub urban

jisung

my house was a place i avoided. my parents were wonderful people, they just couldn't fathom the idea of their son having mental struggles. which is why i got a night shift at a cat café, half an hour away from my street. 

the door chimed as i walked in. my colleague, who had arrived early, barely acknowledged my existence. but that was just his way of saying hi. since the dark was slowly shadowing the skies, he switched on the lights, his polished name tag reading 'minho, lee' shining in the process.

i walked into the staff room and put on my apron, after petting the cats, who were familiarised with me by now. i had to get done quickly, because it would be rush hour soon.

....

"hey" the customer glanced at my nametag, "jisung, can i get an espresso, with a side of your number?", that caught me off guard. i laughed nervously. this generally happened to my friend, minho, not me. i was too awkward to approach. "sure, uhh i'll type it into your phone" i said, reaching my hand out. in a few seconds, the awkward moment ceased to exist. the girl ran back to her group of friends, who were giggling. 

it was customer after customer, without a break. i worked these hours without a smile. in two hours, the rush died down. i watched as the girl who asked for my number, her name was shuhua, as i remembered from her order, stayed back, despite all her friends leaving.

"hey, it's almost closing time, kick that girl out" minho said nonchalantly referring to shuhua. "i'm not doing that! she'll be scared of you, you kick her out" i replied, my social anxiety kicking in. 

"coward"

"i love you too, now go tell her to leave"

glaring at me and letting out a string of graphic words, he walked over to the girl's table. i saw her get up and approach me. "wanna go somewhere with me? i mean, it's a friday night" i could decipher hints of a flirtatious tone. "i actually need to go home, so.." i trailed off, hurriedly packing up things at the counter while minho was staring me down.

"come on! have some fun! i've seen you around at school, you seem fun!" she didn't let me open my mouth, as she dragged me out from the cafe. i tried my best to look apologetic, so that minho wouldn't take revenge in the near future. 

"shuhua, i'm sorry but please let me go, i don't know you" she stopped and dropped my arm. she turned to me and flashed a cute smile. "jisung, have fun for one night, i won't force you to, but i want to get to know you". it was unfortunate that i wasn't an assertive person.

before i knew it, i was at some club that she managed to sneak us into. i wanted to leave, but shuhua was being nothing but nice. i didn't want to paint her a villain. she was just an outgoing person, and i didn't have the courage to be firm. "jisung, have you ever drunk before?", i shook my head. "do you want to?", i shook my head again. "okay" she turned to the bartender, "one shot of soju and one coca-cola please", she turned to me again.

"so let's get to know each other, i'll start, i'm yeh shuhua, senior year, in the same high school as you. i enjoy singing, and partying! you?", she looked at me expectantly. "oh, uh i'm han jisung, senior year and stuff. i like.." i paused, and thought for a few seconds, "i like singing too". for some reason, telling her i liked rapping, felt lame, and saying i liked producing made me sound like a try-hard.

"amazing! you're really cool. my friends were teasing me so much at the cafe, but i think it's worth it" she declared, puffing out her face. cute. my body had eased out by now, i was presenting a more comfortable aura, leaning against the counter.

i was regarding the unfamiliar place, the multi-coloured lights encompassing the entirety of the area. shuhua was getting another drink, when i sensed someone on my other side. it was another girl, in an uncomfortable bodycon dress that hiked up her thighs.

she attempted a seductive look, "hey babe, what's an innocent boy like you doing here?" she smiled, the rough texture of her skin beginning to caress my chest. her hands ghosted their touch all over my upper body. my mind was clouded in a toxic mist.

no. no, no, no, no, no.

a repugnant sensation overtook my body. i was nauseous. i wanted to claw her hands off me. i was in pain. she didn't let go. where was shuhua? "p-please stop", i felt so weak, stumbling over my words. "am i making someone nervous?" she only giggled, apparently enjoying my dishevelled state.

i couldn't do this. i pushed myself off the high chair and hobbled around to find the exit. where, where is it? please, please let me go. locating the glowing, red sign above a doorframe, i ran, i ran desperately. 

i wasn't meant for this, i never wanted to go to a bar, or a club. i couldn't think straight. my consciousness was a mess, my head was spinning. i didn't want her hands on me. i'm such an idiot. i just wanted to leave.

my phone buzzed.

mom (19 missed calls)

dad (15 missed calls)

i've let everyone down. including myself. at that moment, i couldn't even cry.

....

a/n: i personally liked this chapter a lot. i wanted to signify that men can be harassed too, and wanted to include a grey character (shuhua), hopefully yall perceived it the way i intended :)