IX. lies, the barrier of trust

song: either way-ive

jisung

it was saturday. i was in my room, in a tangled mess of blankets and pillows. my forehead was sweating, my hair sticking to it. i picked up my phone. 11:04AM. i don't know how i made my way to my house. the night felt like a fever dream. i didn't want to get up. i felt dead. still, i fought the urge to collapse again.

after making myself somewhat presentable, i walked downstairs, massaging my head, which was aching for some reason. "jisung! how are you feeling? you came home last night in such a mess" his grandmother rambled. 

despite her age, she was quite active and healthy. "i'm feeling good, last night, i got lost" what's another lie, to convince yourself you're fine? i smile politely so my grandmother believes me. she gestures me to sit at the table for breakfast. she sits there impatiently, waiting for me to touch the food. 

"where are mom and dad?"

"had some bank errand to run"

"my brother?"

"out with his friends"

"oh ok" i silently finish my breakfast, thank my  grandmother and rush back to my room. i check my phone.

loser supremacy>>

binnie 11:40AM

u guys r coming over at 5 right?

chan

yeah, jisung still hasn't confirmed tho

lixie

but he's online..?

innie

the quiet kid that reads the gc but never responds..

oh no

hyune

guys i booked our tickets to mexico

run while you still can

ji's coming to get us

lixie

lmfao

me

i'm still alive guys dw

minhoe

unfortunately

seungmo

replying to text: i'm still alive guys dw

who asked

me

can't believe yall just came online to bully me:(

anygays, i'm coming over to binnie's at 5 so yeah

....

i didn't bother reading the replies. a few quiet moments passed before my grandmother burst into my room. "you need to go outside and get some fresh air" she sternly said, already urging me away from the bed and to the front door. "i got too much fresh air last night!" i say protesting.

"kids these days, always on their phones" she made an unpleasant expression before practically kicking me out of the house. and just like that, i was forced to touch some grass. wait...the garden, does she go there on saturday's too?

i got curious and made my way to the old building, behind which the secret garden was located. i stared at the alleyway, before walking in. she was there. her face was strung with frustration, as she looked like she was about to tear the pages of the notebook she was holding.

she had seemingly given up, relaxing her body on the couch and letting out a sigh, before she noticed me. "oh..hi" she smiled, inviting me to come closer. i sat down, not next to her, but near the edge of the sofa. she had gestured me to move further away. i'm not hurt.

"so, how did your friday evening go?" i had assumed she was a lively, partygoing person, though it was most unlikely. "well, my friend's invited me to a sleepover" she begun, "you have friends?" i feigned genuine shock. it was hilarious to see her get worked up. 

"hey!" she exclaimed, an offended look on her face, though she could barely contain her smile. she lightly hit me on the shoulder. we both froze. when she redacted her hand she stared at it, confused, shocked and...scared? "um anyways so, uh, this friend has a brother, he probably has a crush on me, and he saw me there and started stuttering, it was pretty funny." she seemed to have lightened up, now cradling the hand she had made contact with, in her other hand.

i smiled in response, trying not to make the conversation uncomfortable. "then, we went through a list of things we wanted to do, and were assigned tasks to prepare and.." she trailed off again, now focused on the ground. "and?" i directed her to respond.

"i..i don't know" her eyes seemed to be moving rapidly, focusing on anywhere but me. "so, what about you, how was your evening?" she diverted the topic. the memories came flashing back. i shuddered. "i, um have a job at this cat cafe, so i spent most of my evening...working". she lit up at the words 'cat cafe'.

"can you take me there sometime? i like cats" she smiled widely. she saw my lack of a reaction. "i mean, if you feel comfortable, i just haven't been to a cat cafe before" she continued. "of course you can come anytime, my next shift is on monday, we can go then!" i mentally beat myself up for the delayed reaction. she smiled brightly again, to which i practically melted. she profusely thanked me over and over again, and unknowingly a blush spread over my face.

another thing i hadn't noticed was that she was no longer on the other end of the couch. she was subconsciously inching nearer to me. and i blushed again.