VII. is the light of friendship so dim?

song: drunk-dazed-enhypen

moonbyeol

i was scared of touch. it was definitely because of my mother. and i did feel jisung's hand hovering over my back. i was seconds away from flinching and moving away. 

i was walking home from the garden. i had stayed there for some more time after jisung had left. but i wasn't really going home, oh, anything to avoid that hellhole. i was gonna go to the convenience store and get some snacks, dinner maybe, because my mom rarely ever cooked. 

cinnamon lia <3 - incoming call

my phone screen lit up flashing the text. i quickly picked up. "heyy, byeolie wanna come over to my place?" lia sounded excited. i could hear yeji and ryujin laughing in the background.

"what's the occasion?" i said with a light chuckle. "my parents are out for some fancy dinner, they might be staying at a hotel for the night, so bring your sleeping stuff as well!" this meant i could not only spend time with my friends, but also avoid my parents for the night. i sound so selfish.

"i'm on my way, are kirin and chae coming?" i said, referring to yunjin and chaewon, my other two friends. it remained unspoken, but the group was divided into 2: lia, yeji, ryujin in their own group and yunjin, chaewon and me in the other.

"of course! it's a girls night!" we said our goodbyes, and hung up. it was beginning to get darker. the sky was a perfect blend of reds, oranges and pinks. i hurried back home, skipping the trip to the convenience store, to get the stuff for the sleepover.

....

"why did you come home so late?" the moment i entered the house, my mom asked me this question, in a somewhat accusing tone. to avoid you, don't pretend you didn't know.

either way, i ignored the question. "isn't dad here?" i absentmindedly said while rushing to my room to get my stuff. "he's working late again. why are you packing your stuff?" she aggressively grabbed my wrist. god she'd done this so many times, there was an impression there now.

i roughly pulled my hand away. i quickly ran out of the house so she couldn't catch me again.

....

"you made it!" yeji exclaimed, opening the door for me and gesturing me to come inside. "yunjin was literally about to die.." ryujin continued jokingly. yunjin got up from the couch and hugged me. i was at my happiest.

then, lia's 13 year old brother, junsu, came brooding out of his room, of course, wearing a black hoodie. however, his bitch face turned into a one of joy, when he noticed me. he'd been hiding his little crush on me, but obviously not doing a good job at it. 

"hi moonbyeol! um.. is it ok if i call you byeol?..or um" he fumbled with the string of the hood. i giggled at his awkward behaviour making him smirk with pride. lia laughed before glaring at him. "three things, number one, this is strictly girls night! number two, she's almost eighteen?, number three, byeol is already taken!" she laughed again, pushing me to yunjin. 

we both played along, holding each other's hands and pretending to sincerely hold eye-contact. he feigned a look of disgust before retreating to his dark cave of a room. "well, that's one emo teen if i've ever seen one" yeji said. "not for our byeolie though!" chaewon teasingly said, which caused all of them, except lia, to give me suggestive looks and nudge my arm.

"guys! he's a child!" lia exclaimed protectively breaking us apart, as we fell on the couch in a giggling mess. "ok, so i prepared a list of things we need to do tonight, line up" despite her commanding voice and natural leadership skills, yeji was one for a good joke, hence the 'line up' in the military tone.

we all stood up and positioned our hands in mock salute, as yeji listed the itinerary one by one. as my friends all rushed about to gather materials, i temporarily froze. in the mess of girls moving about, it seemed that my time was going in slow motion. what's happening?

i was struggling to breathe, but tried not to make it too obvious. i was hoping that this little attack would pass in a few minutes. i honestly couldn't decipher the timings of the attacks. i didn't understand why it happened at random. i was lost.

----

once i calmed down, i noticed that they were mostly ready. the rest of the night was a haze of games, makeup, gossip, and fun. not once did they mention my attack, not once did i mention what happened to me. in fact, they ignored my presence, perhaps unconsciously. our relationship was dark that way.