Christmas Parties and Baby Fever (Nayeon)

"Hey mom, hey dad!" Nayeon called out as she put her keys back in her pocket with her other hand tightly clasped around yours.

You were at her parents house for their annual Christmas party but you both arrived slightly earlier just in case they needed any last minute help. Nayeon led you both through the hallway and into the kitchen where Christmas music blasted through speakers. Her parents were taking their hosting duties very seriously with decorations everywhere and every available surface had trays of food ready for the guests.

"If it isn't my favourite married couple!" Nayeon's dad chuckled coming over to hug you both with her mother right behind him.

Upon hearing this comment, Nayeon's mother gave her husband a playful slap with a glare.

"Second favourite married couple, sorry," he mumbled, rubbing his arm.

"It's so lovely to see you both," Nayeon's mom said as she too gave you both loving hugs. "It's been a while since you both have been here last."

"I keep telling Nayeon that but this workaholic won't take a break," you giggled, kissing your wife's cheek to assure her you didn't mean harm by the comment.

"What did I tell you when you told me you were engaged?" Your father in law gave his daughter a pointed look. "The wife is always right."

"I thought you were talking about me being right," Nayeon pouted, realising she had misinterpreted the conversation. "I wouldn't have agreed with you if I thought you meant that Y/N would always be right."

You all burst into laughter at this because it was something only Nayeon would say.

The conversation was cut short by the doorbell ringing and Nayeon's mother left to welcome the first guests.

"Can I help you with any of the food?" You asked Nayeon's father.

"That would be amazing, thank you!" He replied. "We just need to move them into the living area where the guests will be."

He took a few trays in and you and Nayeon copied him. The first guests were already getting settled in the living area and chatting away to Nayeon's mother. Having been a permanent fixture in Nayeon's family for about five years ever since your relationship became serious, you were familiar with her family and this was a cousin of hers who had brought her husband and her twin three year old boys.

You all gave polite greetings and the kids ran over to your wife when she put the dishes down on a table.

"Wow, look how big you two are getting!" Nayeon exclaimed, picking one up to twirl him around in the air as he cackled in delight. Once she put him back on the ground, she picked up the other child and peppered kisses all across his head.

You watched on with soft eyes filled with awe as your wife interacted with the kids. You felt a flutter in your stomach to see her maternal side kick in as they led her over to the sofa so they could sit on her lap and talk with her. Her breathtaking smile took up her entire face, making her eyes crinkle as she patiently listened to their chatter and would periodically ruffle up their hair or tickle them.

You and Nayeon had discussed your plans for children often, both before and after you got married. You were both on the same page that you would eventually want to have children, however, you had never discussed a timeframe of when that would be. While your wife had a busy schedule, it was nothing compared to what it used to be which meant having children could be a possibility sooner rather than later. And seeing your wife cooing over her cousin's kids made you want to start your own little family as soon as possible.

As you turned to go back to the kitchen to bring more trays in, your eyes met with your mother in law's and she gave you a knowing look as she read your mind perfectly.

———

You had already decided to stay over in Nayeon's childhood bedroom so you both could have some drinks and soak up the party atmosphere. At the end of the night, you were both slightly tipsy as you called it a day and went upstairs. The last hour had been spent tidying up, the two of you taking charge of the task, knowing Nayeon's parents must be exhausted after all their work preparing the gathering.

Nayeon was already in bed when you finished up in the bathroom and the moment you climbed into bed, she automatically opened her arms for you to crawl into. You rested your head on her chest, listening to the soothing sound of her steady heartbeat as she pressed loving kisses on the crown of your head.

"That was a good evening," Nayeon said quietly. "It was nice to catch up with my family."

You hummed in agreement and you both fell into a comfortable silence while Nayeon moved slightly to switch her lamp off.

You were both slowly falling asleep when you decided to say what was on your mind the entire evening. It was now or never.

"Love?"

"Yeah?" Her voice was slurred slightly with tiredness.

"I've been thinking and I want us to start our own little family."

At those words, Nayeon immediately became fully awake as joy burst through her body like a jolt of energy.

"You do?" She whispered into the darkness.

"Yeah," you replied. "Just seeing you play with your cousin's kids tonight made me wish that soon we could bring our own kids to the Christmas parties. I know we haven't even been married a full year yet but we have so much love in our hearts and I know we could provide a happy, caring home for our future kids."

Nayeon could almost feel her heart burst with happiness. Her arms were wrapped around your waist and she began stroking your back with her thumb.

"I want that too," she confessed. "I just know you would be an amazing mother. Of course, there's so many practicalities involved but tomorrow's another day, my love. Someday soon, though, I do see us with a family of our own."

"I can't wait for that day to come," you murmured as your tiredness suddenly began to catch up with you. "I think I should sleep now. Goodnight baby, I love you."

"Night, my love," Nayeon said, giving you one last kiss on your head, continuing to rub your back until your breath became steady and she was certain you were asleep. She watched you in awe, her mind wide awake with happy thoughts as she imagined starting a family with the love of her life.