Little Angels (Momo)

You gave a satisfied hum as you sat down on a park bench, eagerly opening the paper bag you had been carrying. One of your meetings with some clients had been canceled last minute and with some extra time on your hands, you decided to go to a nearby bakery to pick up some lunch. You picked out a delicious looking sandwich before heading to the park to enjoy your meal. The weather was perfect to have lunch outdoors, with the sun shining and the slightest breeze. And the fact that you would be surrounded by nature made having lunch in the park an even more enticing idea.

After taking one bite of the sandwich, you knew hands down it was the best sandwich you've ever eaten. Hopefully you'd have more days like these where you could take an extended lunch and visit this bakery again. Before you were able to take a second bite of the sandwich, your phone buzzed. Sighing, you put the sandwich onto the wrapper which sat on your lap so you could check your phone. It was a message from one of your close friends, looking for advice, and you began to write out a hurried response so you could get back to your lunch.

Maybe you wouldn't have put the sandwich down if you knew the universe had other plans for the best sandwich you'd ever eaten.

As you put all your focus into replying to your friend, you didn't notice a short haired woman walking towards you with her two dogs. Well, to be more accurate, her dogs were walking her towards you because it was clear that they seemed to be the ones in control here, rather than their owner. Right as they were approaching the bench where you sat, they got the smell of your delicious food which only made them even more excited.

Everything happened in a split second. When they were about to pass you, one of the dogs saw their opportunity and lunged to grab your sandwich. The woman didn't have enough time to tug him away and could only watch on with horror as the dog stole your sandwich. You had been so concentrated on your phone that you had no time to protect your precious sandwich from this dog who had seemingly leapt from nowhere. You just gasped, completely caught off guard.

"Boo, that was bad," the woman scolded. "We don't steal sandwiches."

Boo apparently didn't care an awful lot and began to munch happily on the sandwich while the other dog also tried to steal some bites, albeit unsuccessfully.

The woman turned to you and as you made eye contact you were so struck by her beauty that you almost forgave her on the spot for her dog's actions, even if she hadn't spoken to you yet.

"I'm so sorry about that," the woman apologized with wide eyes. "It was all so fast and I couldn't pull him away."

The woman spoke quickly and came across truly sincere in her words so you knew this was a genuine apology. Her gaze rested on you as you let out a soft chuckle.

"It's okay, these things can happen," you told her as you watched the dog, Boo, finish off your sandwich.

"I'm mortified, though, this has never happened before."

"Don't worry about it," you assured her. "I just didn't expect it so I was a bit shocked. It was kind of funny though."

"Thanks for being so good about this," she said. "I'm Momo, by the way, and this is Boo and Dobby."

Upon hearing their names, the dogs became mildly interested in the conversation and they stood right at Momo's feet so she could bend down to pet them.

"I'm Y/N," you said before gesturing to the dogs. "Is it okay if I pet them? I'm a big dog person."

Momo nodded as you left the bench and bent down to stroke the two dogs.

"You took my sandwich, didn't you?" You cooed at Boo. "But it's okay because you're a cutie."

The dogs lapped up the attention they were getting and Momo watched on with heart eyes as you interacted with her dogs. She was so embarrassed about the whole sandwich stealing situation but the fact that she was instantly attracted to you made it even more humiliating. She was nervous enough around people she was attracted to as it was but add an embarrassing situation into the mix and she wanted the ground to swallow her whole at the beginning. But with how relaxed you were about this and how sweet you were being to her dogs...

"Are you doing anything right now?" Momo asked suddenly and your head whipped up to look at her from your crouching position before you stood up so you could be at her eye level.

"Not for another hour, why?" You asked, hoping this was going in the direction you wanted it to go.

"I was wondering if maybe I could buy you lunch?" She asked hesitantly, trying to gauge your reaction. "I just feel like after what my dog did I -,"

"I'd love to go," you interrupted. As adorable as her rambling seemed to be, you wanted to cut it off quickly to limit her nervousness. "There's a place a minute away with good outdoor seating so your little angels can come."

Momo chuckled at your sarcasm but her brain had a different response. Yes they're my little angels because thanks to them I'm having lunch with a gorgeous woman.

"Perfect it's a date then," Momo said, before realizing her words. "Well I didn't mean it like that, not that I wouldn't want to date you because you're really pretty and lovely, I just don't know if you're comfortable with me calling it -,"

"It's a date," you replied firmly as you both headed in the direction of the café as she offered you Dobby's leash so you could walk him. Momo swore in that moment that her heart had never felt more... fluttery? Yes that felt like the right word.

———
Yes i edited this three times since publishing it, I was exhausted and the previous versions weren't serving