Chapter 1- Begin Again

"(Y/N)! Hurry up! We can't miss our train!" Mom shouts from across the hall.

"Coming Mom!" You shout back.

As you walk down the hall, your mom starts bragging, "My daughter! High school graduate at the age of twelve! Going to a college at thirteen!" She gushes, "Aw I'm just so proud of you!" She exclaims with glee.

"I can't believe i got into my dream school and I'm the youngest girl to be accepted!" You're giddy and filled to the brim with joy, "I've had their posters on my walls since i knew i wanted to be a coder."

You squeal with delight. When your mom first handed you the acceptance letter and full scholarship, excited was an understatement.

• • •

"(Y/N). Wake up." Your mom coos, sweetly.

"Huh?" You question, still in your slumber stupor, "Where are we?"

"Welcome to Sanfransokyo, (y/n)." Mother grins.

You squeal with excitement. "Where are we staying for tonight?" You ask while reaching for your bags. Most of your stuff had already been sent to where your mother arranged for you to stay, so you only have a backpack and a small carry on suitcase.

"A motel room." She mutters. You and your mom never had much. She was a hair stylist, but worked from home. She was a single mom too. Your dad had the job, but he took your sister, the money, and left. He would write letters on a occasions, but when you got accepted into SFIT you knew you had to take accept and not tell him. He irked you, every single piece of him. "I've arranged for you to stay with my old friend Cass, both of her kids are also enrolled at SFIT. I'll join you later when school starts back up in the winter. I've got to finish up stuff back home, okay?" She adds, reaching for her stuff as well.

"Okay." You reply, unsure. You never liked being without your mom. Every time you were apart for a few days, something bad would happen. Last time you two were apart for a weekend, your father left. "I'll miss you."

"I will, too." She smiles, leading you off the train and in the direction of the motel. She stops and pulls you into an embrace, she places her head lightly on top of yours and sighs, pecking your forehead with her lips and releasing the embrace. "Well, time to go check in at the motel!" She announces.

• • •

"Mom!" You shout, "Do you have my white shoes with the black lacing?"

"No, you sent them off to Cass' place, remember?" She replies.

"Aw man! Those are my favourite." You groan. "God, mom can you just help me please. I want to look nice for the acceptance ceremony."

You stare around your suitcase, unhopeful. Your mother peers over your shoulder and asks, "What about your (F/C) shirt with the peter pan collar tucked into your white pleated skirt?"

You turn around and spot your mom wearing her old blue dress that stopped mid-calf and her black heels. She had straightened her hair and parted her bangs to the side. "It sounds cute and sweet." You smile.

You quickly change and then stand in the mirror by your mom, straightening out your skirt. "My beautiful thirteen year old girl is growing up." Your mom smiled, nostalgically.

Your mom insisted you put on makeup. You decided to humour her and let her out some on you. She gently patted some blush on your cheeks and some natural coloured lip gloss. You already have long lashes, but a little mascara made your eyes look brighter. Your mother takes an eyebrow brush through your thick eyebrows, setting them into place. With both of you ready, you took off for SFIT.