sixteen

spencer daniels

It's New Year's Eve. A lot has happened, Joe finally discussed everything with Sophie. Not sure what happened, I didn't want to know details or if she had hired a PI to investigate my life. I figured the less I knew the better.

Tonight, me and Sidney were going out like old times. Joe had some stuff to do today, which meant I could be free to go have a girls night without fear of him wanting to "bring me coffee" or "stop by for entertainment" which was his way of asking to hang out, but making it seem like it was detrimental to his daily routine. which was sweet when you think about it, but also a little clingy. Not that I was one to talk, we spent every minute together basically, and most of the time it was based on the shear fact that I was too obsessed with him to let him out of my sight, also maybe a mixture of insecurity and if I wasn't standing right in front of him, he'd move on to someone else. It's not healthy I know, but I'm working on it, okay?

I was standing in my closet surrounded by sequined outfits i'd accrued over the past few weeks, leading up to this exact moment. Needless to say, having options never makes it easier. Less is more. "Sidney!" I yelled. "Sid!!" I yelled again, finally I heard her coming across the apartment. "Girl what?" She asked, busting into my room with rollers in her hair. "What are you wearing?" I asked. "Are you serious right now?" She asked. "Yes very." I said. "I don't know yet, but if you want my option on what you should wear, it's that one." She said, pointing to a glittery mesh dress with feathered cuffs on the sleeves. "Yes ma'am." I said back. When she left, I facetimed Joe for a second opinion. He answered, and the background was him on the couch. I thought he had stuff to do today? "Hey, are you busy?" I asked. "No. Why?" He asked. "I need outfit advice." I flipped the camera around and showed him the options. "Sidney thinks this one, but I can't decide." I said. "I agree with her. You better be planning on coming over here when it's midnight." He said. "I'll see. You know midnight in the clubs is the most fun." I said. "Clearly you haven't been with me on New Year's Eve then." He said. "I know you're fun too, but you know what I mean. Sidney's not going to let me leave right as the ball drops." I said. "Then leave before the ball drops, duh." He said. "I'll see what I can do. Traffic is going to be a nightmare." I said. "Don't you know I have people for that. You tell me when and where and they'll be there." He said. "I know, I know. I'll keep you updated." I said. "Okay. Better wear the outfit sidney picked out, it's the best option." He said. "Okay thank you for your help." I said. "You're welcome, send me a fit check. Love you." He said, his hand immediately slapping over his mouth. My eyes widened, "What?!" I yelled. "I don't know, it slipped out." He said.

We hadn't said we loved each other in a romantic way yet, only in a "brother/sister" combo, or more like family/bestfriend scenario. I mean I did love him, but was I going to expose myself like that and say it first? no, But I also wasn't expecting him to blurt it out first either. "Joseph. Do you mean it?" I asked. "I mean yes, but did I want to say it like that? No! I think that was a reflex, forget I said that and i'll do it for real later." He said. I laughed, "Sure. Now look who's irresistible ." I said. "Mhm, whatever girl." He said, rolling his eyes. "Okay bye seriously." I said.

Finally, when the call ended, I had to sprint through the apartment to update Sidney on what the hell just happened. "Dude. You're never going to believe what just happened." I said. She was taking the rollers out of her hair, "Oh my god, what?" She asked looking concerned as she turned around to face me. "No joke, I was on FaceTime with Joe, and he said I love you." I gasped, like it was the first time i'd heard the story. "No fucking way, what?!" Sidney shouted. I told her the whole story not leaving a detail out, and her hand was over her mouth the whole time. "No way that was a slip up. He def meant it." She said. I nodded, my eyes wide thinking that she had the mindset as me. After we chatted about that and our delulu brains for a few minutes, I retreated back into my room to finish getting ready.