Chapter 6: The Incident

Then, the worst has yet to come. Lily tries to reach their portal device but it got smashed by a pillar! How could a pillar smash it? The portal has made zero-gravity when it started going cuckoo, that's how. While Junior has freed Marshall and Everest, they started pulling into the messed-up portal! They held onto each other in horror. They looked at each other's faces and blushed. Then, Rubble and Zuma crashed into them. Liberty and Ryder did the same. Soon, all of Victor's prisoners were heading towards the portal! Sage tries to save them, but gets bumped into a floating pillar. Aurora and Winter were trying to get each other back on their feet. Tundra was helpingRocky as Max and Lily crashed into them, and this was all thanks to the zero-gravity. Skye was trying to get herself straight as Chase used his grappling hook from his PupPack and climbed it onto Marshall's pup tag. Everyone that was going in the portal were in a ball. 

Chase: I lost you guys once! (Starts grabbing onto an unmoved metal pillar with another grappling hook) And I am not (grunts) going to lose you (grunts, pulling them back) AGAIN!

Max: Come on, Dad! You can do it!

Lily: Go Dad!

But then, just when Marshall and Ryder reached their arms to Chase once he was close enough, Victor grabbed some floating scissors and threw it at the grapple line! The line broke, sending his detainees into the portal! 

Victor E. Vance: Hahahahaa! Your friends are gone, boy! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh?

Skye: (finally getting her jet pack to work again) THIS!!!!! (Rams Victor into the portal as it closes.)

Then, the gravity turned back to normal, sending everything in the air come crashing down. Lily and Junior started doing a roll call.

Lily: Sage?

Junior: Winter? Aurora?

Rocky: (joining them) Tundra?!

Lily: Mom? Dad? Max?

Sage: (gets up from under some soot) (coughs) I'm good.

Winter and Aurora: Here.

Tundra: Don't worry about me, Rocky. I'm fine (she smiles). 

Skye: Chase?

Chase: (over at where the portal was) I failed them. Again. I thought I could save them. This place. . . this  . . . day . . . the pressure of it brought me down.

Sage: Hey. It's alright, Chase.

Chase: (looks at Sage then angrily turns around) Oh yeah?! THANKS FOR SENDING ME TO THE WEEK I WAS BORN, SAGE!!! Your father would be proud!

Rocky: Whoa whoa whoa, Chase! I'M HIS FATHER!

Chase: NOT YET YOU'RE NOT! AND BESIDES, IF SAGE DIDN'T GO SOLO, TRYING TO BE THE HERO IF THE DAY, HE WOULDN'T HAVE SHOWN HIS CLUMSINESS AND BROKE THE PORTAL DEVICE! OUR PORTAL DEVICE AND NOW THIS ONE!

Rocky: JUST BECAUSE MY SON IS NEARLY AS CLUMSY AS MARSHALL DOESN'T MEAN THAT HE SHOULD GET YELLED AT!

Sage: Guys, stop!

Chase: The clumsy kid's right. Let's not show ugly behavior in front of our future pups.

Skye: Chase, stop!

Chase: STOP WHAT, SKYE?!?! I KNOW ONE THING I CAN STOP! THIS TRIP! WE FAILED! CAN'T YOU SEE!? WE HAD ONE JOB! ONE JOB! AND WE MOCKED IT UP! I FEEL WORSE THAN THE DAY I WAS BORN!

Skye: SO . . . YOU THINK THAT THE DAY YOU WERE BORN WAS A TERRIBLE TIME FOR YOU?! I WAS TREATED LIKE DIRT THANKS TO MY SIBLINGS JUST BECAUSE I WAS SMALL!!!! REMEMBER THAT?!?! YOU SHARED A HEARTFELT MOMENT THE DAY WE GOT SUPERPOWERS IN ADVENTURE CITY!? WHEN I EXPLAINED MY BACKSTORY TO YOU!?

Chase: WELL, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE HAVING A HOME FOR ONLY ONE DAY, THEN BEING PLACED ON A SIDEWALK TO ROT AND DIE THE NEXT! JUST FOR EXISTING!!!! JUST FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO DO A THING!!! JUST FOR BEING JUST A PUP!!! HAVE YOU FELT LIKE THAT, SKYE?!?! (Everyone is shocked and then Chase realizes his reaction)

Lily: Dad . . . I . . . uh- -

Chase: Just (sniffles and turns away) leave me be. I'm sorry.

Tundra: I never saw Chase like that.

Junior: Neither have we. He's usually the nicest, most understanding officer in the history of the world. This is now his first time yelling at Skye. Or any of us, for that matter.

Skye: His FIRST time?

Lily: Yes. Even when we get a little mischievous, he doesn't punish us. He just fixes up whatever we broke. We even dented his police cruiser and he understood it was an accident! This one, I'd rather the one in my time. The one that said that we could achieve great things, no pup being too small.

Rocky: Deep.

Max: I'll talk to him.

Max walks up to his father's younger self and sits next to him to try and understand what he's going through.

Chase: Max, look. (Sniffles) I never meant to yell at you. I even heard this was the first time I yelled at the PAW Patrol. My friends. My . . . family. The only family I have. And I threw what comfort they had just now back into their faces. 

Max: Why don't you tell me what happened? I only heard the words "Chase was abandoned in Adventure City then Ryder found him about to get run over by a truck".

Chase: Well . . . since I'm practically looking in a mirror, I'll say it. Start to finish. Ahem. I was born in a brown house 3 blocks from where I was abandoned. I never had memory of a mother. Or a father. Not even a sibling. Or even the faces of the owners. Then, one day, I was hearing the words "That pup's weak. How could he protect us?" "But we can't give him to the pound. They don't have a spot left." "Then we'll do this the HARD way." They grabbed me and put me in the truck with them, whoever they were. They drove me around the city with my eyes closed that way I could fend for myself. Then, for some reason, they put me on the sidewalk that day. And I was filled with anxiety, making minutes feel like years, about how big the city was. How many people there were. How many sirens went off. How many cars went by. All of it added to me being abandoned. And then, that was when Ryder found me. And from that moment on, I thought I could do what my old owners wanted me to be: a protective, and loyal pup willing to protect Ryder no matter the cost. Then when the remembers came (looks over at the others behind him and then back) I felt like I had the same responsibility for them. Protecting them the best I could was all I ever wanted. And today, with the portal, I feel like the scared little pup from all that time ago. Or, well, in a few days.

Max: Wow. Dad, I'm sorry. I don't know what it's like to hold the responsibility for the safety of friends and family, but I do know this; you have to forget your past and remember the benefits you've had since then. For example, Mom. Uncle Marshall. More friends. New adventures. Us.

Chase: Thanks, son. I needed that. (They hug)

Skye: Hey, guys! I found something!

Whoa! That scene was emotional all the way. Ahem, anyway, they failed to save their friends from freezing in the Ice Age, or tortured in the Dark Ages, or even get blasted by an asteroid 65 million years ago, or some worse event in history! But what did Skye find? Will it determine another chance to save their friends? Or something else?