4. Sleepover

Y/N
That bastard nearly got away with it. Floyd Feylinn Ferell wasn't the one killing the new victims, but he was the mastermind. It was during a hearing (deciding whether or not Ferell should be released) that Rossi made the final connection - the connection that ensured that Ferell would never see the light of day again.

"Ms. Chairwoman, I apologize for the interruption, but I have an issue that I need to discuss with the board." Rossi interrupted as he held a manila envelope.

"If it is absolutely necessary." She exhaled.

"Well, my colleague has just handed me Marcus Manning's autopsy report. The M.E. discovered 5 of the last victim's fingers in his stomach." Rossi explained.

"What relevance does that have to the matter before this board?" The chairwoman furrowed her eyebrows.

"Well, the remaining fingers were never found. And so I have here a search warrant to serve Mr. Ferell." Rossi handed the file to the woman, who inspected it.

"I object to this obvious attempt to punish my client." Ferell's lawyer objected.

"You can search my room, my sister's house...even my old place. You won't find anything." Ferell insisted.

"Oh, did I neglect to say the warrant isn't to search a location. It's for an x-ray of Floyd Feylinn Ferell's digestive tract. You see, we're gonna find Rebecca's other 5 fingers in your stomach...Floyd." Rossi smirked at Ferell, the team's faces lighting up with joy.

"And since the board has just given you a clean bill of mental health, we can now try you for these recent murders as an accessory, as well as first-degree murder for...all the murders you committed 10 years ago." Rossi continued, Ferell immediately attempting to jump over the table and attack Rossi.

"You son of a bitch. No! No! No!" Ferell was handcuffed and led away, still trying to attack Rossi - with no success.

Now, you, Tara, JJ, Matt, Luke, Rossi, Spencer and Emily were exiting the BAU bullpen, ready to head home before another case brought you back.

"I- Is it over?" Penelope asked as she walked over to you, the others already in the elevator.

"It's over." You confirmed, Penelope wrapping you in a hug.

"Thank God. I'm gonna need like...5 showers, so much wine and many, many kitten videos." Penelope shivered.

"I have a better idea. How about I call the kids over and we can have a little sleepover?" You suggested.

"Oh, yes! Your three angels are way better than kitten videos!" Penelope nodded, excited. On the way to your cars, you messaged Aaron, asking if he'd be okay with the kids staying over at Penelope's for the weekend. He didn't mind and told you that they'd be ready to go when you came to pick them up.

———

25 minutes later, you pulled up to Penelope's home, each child - minus Toby - holding their overnight bags. Toby was resting in his carrier.

Using the spare key, you entered the apartment and were greeted to the smell of hot coco and toasted sandwiches.

"Auntie Penny!" Avery and Jack cheered while Penelope lifted Toby out of his carrier and into her arms.

"Oh, my sweet baby nephew. You become cuter every single time I see you." Penelope kissed Toby's forehead.

"And he get's happier each time he sees you. Just the sight of his genius aunt makes his face light up." You chuckled, grabbing some pillows and blankets from the closet.

"Alright, the guest bed is big enough for 2 children, a baby and an adult, but if you want, we can move the pull-out couch into the bedroom so that whoever wants to sleep on it can." Penelope smiled.

"Jack, you take the couch. No point sharing with two females and a baby." Y/N placed a kiss on Jack's forehead. He nodded and chucked his bag on the bed. He helped Penelope move the couch and within 10 minutes, the couch was a few feet from the bed and Jack's bag was on it after turning it into a bed.

"Let's get Toby to sleep, and then we can enjoy a nice family movie." Penelope insisted.

"Sounds like a plan. Jack, can you get the hot coco and bring it over to the couch in the living room, please? Avery, can you grab the toasted sandwiches, please?" Both children nodded, going to do their respective tasks. Everyone grabbed their pajamas and got changed, eventually making it to the couch in front of the TV.

After a lot of discussion, the group settled on 'The Parent Trap', a movie that only Jack, Avery and Toby hadn't seen. But Penelope and Y/N? They were reciting lines every 10-15 minutes, unable to hold back their laughter while Jack and Avery looked and their mother and aunt in confusion.

By the time the movie was over, Jack, Avery and Toby were asleep. Y/N woke Jack up slightly so she could get him to bed. Avery was lifted off the couch and into bed, while Penelope made sure that Toby was safely guarded by pillows and other soft things so he wouldn't roll over and hurt himself.

Penelope and Y/N sat down on the couch for a while, just discussing anything and everything but work.

"Hey, Y/N. If- If Hotch had expressed his feelings earlier and asked you to leave the BAU...would you have?" Penelope asked.

"To be honest. Maybe. I love our team...our work family. But if my working with the team was making him and our family unhappy, I'd probably leave. Not the FBI as a whole, just the team. I might've found a different job within the FBI." Y/N nodded.

"But that thought is on the back burner at the moment. At least until Aaron and I end this fight we've found ourselves trapped in." Y/N finished.

After more discussions, Y/N and Penelope ended up in their bedrooms after saying goodnight.

When everyone had gotten into their beds, Y/N was on the left side, facing the bathroom. Avery was on the right side of the bed, facing the window. Toby was in the middle of the two, sleeping soundly.

———

Penelope went through her morning routine after waking up at 10 AM. When she woke up at 10, Penelope was surprised - and quite frankly grateful, that she and the team had a break. Under her cheerful and joyful façade, Penelope was scared for Y/N and Hotch. The last thing she wanted was for Y/N and Hotch to end up the same way Haley and Hotch ended. The more time she spent with her kids - and maybe Hotch - the better.

Speaking of Y/N, Penelope quietly opened the bedroom door and almost started crying at the sight in front of her. Jack had moved from the couch and made his way onto the bed. Toby held his mother's hand as he slept, Y/N's body mostly under the covers. Avery held Toby's other hand with her left hand as her right hand rested on Toby's head - she clearly had been gently rubbing his head, either to soothe him or herself. Jack laid on Avery's left side, cuddling his little sister as if he'd lose her if he let go of her. Without hesitation, Penelope snapped a photo of the group, wiping the tears from her eyes. If this wasn't a sight for sore eyes, Penelope didn't know what was. She could stare at this photo of her friend, her niece and her nephews just after staring at crime scene photos and she'd be alright.

Penelope shouldn't have done what she did next, but she didn't think.

She clicked on Hotch's number and pulled up the messages between her and Hotch. She sent him the picture of his family with a little message underneath.

Penelope: I have never seen Y/N and the kids so peaceful.

Hotch: Thank you for this photo. I'm glad that Y/N was able to get a full rest.

Penelope smiled, putting her phone away. There would be no better way for Y/N and the kids to wake up, then to the smell of bacon, eggs and toast.