15. Gut feeling

Penelope Garcia was almost never wrong. The word 'almost' was just used since the only time she's ever been wrong was the time she was shot by James Clark Battle, a serial killer who shot his victims in non-fatal places only to call for backup so he could be claimed a hero for saving their lives. She had flagged his cases, and he targeted her, thinking she'd figured out what he had done.

Apart from that mess, Penelope was never wrong. This is why she felt so uneasy since she left a message for Y/N after she didn't show up to the case briefing.

Every time her phone rang, Penelope hoped that Y/N was on the other end, but that wasn't the case. Almost every time it was a member of the team calling her to ask about the case, or it was Emily asking where Y/N was. With no answer for her friend and boss, Penelope decided to take matters into her own hands.

She dialled Hotch's number and patiently waited for him to answer.

"Penelope?" Since leaving the BAU, Hotch made it a goal to call Garcia by her name to seem friendlier.

"Hi, Hotch. I- Is Y/N there?" Penelope asked, trying not to panic.

"Uh, no? She said she was heading out for a few hours before coming back here, but she never showed up." Hotch replied, his voice laced with confusion.

"She messaged me last night and told me she was gonna be home around 10, 'cause she wanted to spend some time with the kids." Penelope explained.

"I assumed she went straight to yours." Hotch told.

"Okay. Well, her GPS says she's at mine, so I'll go get her then." Penelope spoke before ending the call. Deep down she could feel the panic rising through her body and she knew something wasn't right, but she wasn't about to make Hotch panic, not when his wife had just been discharged from hospital after nearly being blown up.

Penelope left her office and made her way home. As she walked up to her apartment building, she saw Y/N's car parked out front. She took a few deep breaths in and out before making her way up to her apartment. Unlocking the front door, Penelope noticed how clean the place was. It was as tidy as it normally was.

"Y/N?" Penelope called out, not really expecting an answer. Walking over to Y/N's room, she saw that the bed was un-made, which wasn't abnormal. Penelope dialled Y/N's number, desperately hoping that maybe Y/N was playing a sick prank on her, and that her gut feeling was wrong. But after searching the whole apartment for the sound of Y/N's unique ringtone, Penelope gave up. She checked the GPS location again, noticing that the red dot on her screen wasn't directly over the apartment, but slightly off. She made her way back down to Y/N's car, dialling her number on the way. As she got close to the car, she could see a faint light inside.

Penelope's heart dropped when she opened the door and saw Y/N's phone on the driver's seat. Her contact lit up the severely cracked screen.

Without any hesitation, Penelope dialled Emily's number, tears threatening to spill.

"Garcia, any luck finding out who our unsub could've taken?" Emily's voice echoed into Penelope's ear.

"W- When the police found the missing women's phones, were they in the women's cars on the driver's seats?" Penelope asked, a slight crack in her voice.

"Yes they were. How'd you know?" Emily questioned, confused.

"He took her." Penelope's fears were right. Her gut was right.

"He took who?" Emily asked.

"Y/N. The unsub took Y/N." Penelope revealed.

———